ALABAMA!!

Could the same chicken lay these two eggs? I only know of one of my young pullets laying but she started out with beautiful dark brown eggs. The past two days I have found soft shell eggs and now this.

It is possible, but it is also possible that the odd egg belongs to a new layer that just hasn't gotten her system worked out yet. At any rate, just wait, these things sometimes work themselves out.

My daughter is convinced my hens are never going to lay. We got them at this year's chick days, the very first week they had chickens and we still haven't got a single egg from them and my one died trying to lay. So now my daughter is certain no eggs for us--forever!! (she even said it like in Sandlot) I have a very dramatic 7 year old however, I can't help hating the wait myself. Telling her it's all up to the chickens to decide when to lay isn't working and I am getting my patience worn thin. Anyone else in this same boat?? or am I the only one that's dying for a soft shell egg like just mentioned?

Take heart! My first chickens I was the same way. Give them until September at least!
My daughter is convinced my hens are never going to lay. We got them at this year's chick days, the very first week they had chickens and we still haven't got a single egg from them and my one died trying to lay. So now my daughter is certain no eggs for us--forever!! (she even said it like in Sandlot) I have a very dramatic 7 year old however, I can't help hating the wait myself. Telling her it's all up to the chickens to decide when to lay isn't working and I am getting my patience worn thin. Anyone else in this same boat?? or am I the only one that's dying for a soft shell egg like just mentioned?

i put down wood shaving in my coop when it is time to clean it out I use a large plastic rake cleans it up pretty quick. Plus my girls but it where they want it so they help too
D.gif

What kind did y'all get?

I injured myself today. I was doing laundry and I heard a chicken making an unusual horrible sound. I was like "curse curse, somethings attacking" I run barefoot to the backyard, stepped on a sharp rock, jumped, twisted my knee and fell down. But kept my mission in mind, I must save my babies.! Behold there stands a teenage rooster, practicing his crowing.
He is going to be one delicious casserole!

I injured myself today. I was doing laundry and I heard a chicken making an unusual horrible sound. I was like "curse curse, somethings attacking" I run barefoot to the backyard, stepped on a sharp rock, jumped, twisted my knee and fell down. But kept my mission in mind, I must save my babies.! Behold there stands a teenage rooster, practicing his crowing.
He is going to be one delicious casserole!

hugs.gif

Been there.

My little rooster was walking around squatted down the other day. It was really weird. I thought something had gotten a hold of him. Ofcourse after chasing him a while he started walking normal
roll.png

And then the hawk I heard in the trees.... (A pair of hawks lives in our neighhorhood and they will call out to eachother).

Sounds just like this one:

Yesterday and today have been stressful. Yesterday my mom found my dad's kitten, Gizmo, dead next to the driveway. It lools like a dog got him.

Around 1 this morning Blu woke me up to tell me that a cat bigger than our dottiepoo (funny, I know) was stalking our feral kitten. He just knew it was a really big cat. I freaked out after he described it to me. Blu's never seen a bobcat. Not even a small one. That's what he described to me. Needless to say, I didn't get any sleep trying to make sure it didn't come back.

Lost one of the chicks over night. I think a snake tried to swallow it. The head and neck were wet (and it was covered with ants, but I think that may have happened after the fact). I saw a small puncture wound in the neck.

So a snake hunting we will go.

Anyone have experience with snakes eating chicks? These guys are pretty big, they're 6 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom