ALABAMA!!

Some came out of hiding. That stupid dog didn't eat any! I found 8 dead. All the rest came home. 3 are injured ,but I don't think really bad. What do I need to do with them? I cleaned the wounds real good with chlorhexadine scrub. That's all I know to do.

Second question, 2 nest were abandoned, for how long IDK. The eggs were cold. Any hope for them? I put them under another hen, but I marked them, in case you guys tell me there's no hope.

I am going to have very unhappy chickens, they will not be free range, untill 1 my fence is finished or 2 that pretty G-shep meets my pretty bullet.

Tomtom,
I just checked my photobucket and I don't have any pics of the Phoenix/Silkies or my Dominicker/Silkies in there so I guess when I get a chance to upload some from my phone and/or take some more pics I'll post some on here. They look alot like the Phoenix but they have feathered feet, 5 toes, black legs and skin and that poofy silkie hairdo. Since my Phoenix and my Silkies love to go Broody on me I thought I may be able to create a Super Broody creation.

Bamadude,
Thanks for the Ghost Peppers to come later in the year. Where do you get them and what do they look like? I keep seeing all those food commercials saying made with Ghost Peppers that I want to try some to see what they are all about. I plant Jalapenos and Hobenaros in my garden every year to make myself some Salsa. If my Hobenaro salsa is too hot I tame it down with some Jalapenos.
wink.png
I'm having a hard time finding some Tomitillo plants this year though, hopefully I'll find some soon so I can make Salsa Verde too.

Jayare

Not suprising, my chickens were more than happy to stay inside today. :( Hubby is sad because I'm sad. GOOD. He said the fence will be finished by next weekend.

BexB- Wow as chicken owner sorry to hear about the losses. As a german shepard owner i am really sorry to hear it. Mine love the birds and have never threatened ours or the neighbors birds. It is too bad you have a neighbor not taking responsibility for their dog.

WARNING WOMAN RANTING :::::::I'm just sick. Came home to find the most beautiful german shepherd killing a hen. Jumped out of the car screaming. It disappeared into the woods. When I looked around, there were piles of feathers everywhere. I have a half door on the coop, so the hens can come in and out, door destroyed, dog had snatched hens off their nest. So long story short, I went to work leaving, 6 broodies, 2 roosters,and 11 hens, I came home to 2 broodies,3 hens,1 of which was lodged in a drain for who knows how long. And 1 badly beaten rooster, that I can't assess his injuries cause he's so scared. Ughhhhhhh. I love dogs but POOPOO!!!!!
I piled all the dead bodies I could find in my hubby's parking spot. If I don't get my fence finished, I may be single . the stuff has been on the carport for almost a year. Ok rant over, but I don't feel any better.

I'm so sorry to hear that! I would be ranting too. Do you know who the owner of the dog is? You need the tell them what their dog did.

Figured out somewhat of a timeline on the muscovy.

On March 25th I had let them keep their eggs for 6 days already, but they were not sitting yet. I remember saying I was going to take them away on day 10, but that Saturday they started sitting.. march 28th. So this Saturday we're at 35 days of sitting, but some of the eggs were older than that. 'Any day now' would be the correct answer
lol.png

How long does it take to hatch eggs? 35days?

Orps, When are you coming back up here to the Florence area again? I can meet you at the same place as last time if you want some eggs to put under those broodies. My Silkies have been laying up a storm and I have a bunch i'm not doing anything with. I got 3 Broody Silkies in 1 big nest setting on a pile of chicken & duck eggs and 1 Turkey and 1 Guinea egg that I want them to hatch for me. I've got some 2nd generation Dominicker/Silkie eggs, 2nd gen Phoenix/Silkie eggs and more of the same Pure Silkie eggs from those Silkies I gave you last time. Just let me know and I'll meet up with you again.

Jayare

I think broodiness is contagious. Now 4 out of 6 have gone broody. 2 of them are the silkies you gave me last time. And they hiss at me when I reach in the coop to throw them out and they are really pissy out of the coop and I have to do some dancing to block them from trying go back in.

Back
Top Bottom