ALABAMA!!

Good deal DerkMc,
My wife picked up 6 new chicks at Longriders feed store on Friday, 3 Buff Orpingtons and 3 RIR's. They are over there across the street and up 1 block from the Florence Police Dept if you need any others.

Jayare

Good deal DerkMc,
My wife picked up 6 new chicks at Longriders feed store on Friday, 3 Buff Orpingtons and 3 RIR's. They are over there across the street and up 1 block from the Florence Police Dept if you need any others.

Jayare

Thanks for the heads up. The bad thing I had my coop about 80% finished then started reading stuff about DLM and now I'm not sure if that's what I want to do or not.

My first broody turkey hen ever! I am kind of excited she was on 10 eggs and her sister keeps adding to the pile daily. I am not sure what to do about that. She has another nest but they have to share!

Next time she goes to get something to eat/drink, mark the eggs. Then, every time she gets up, you can remove the unmarked ones. Or just leave it be.

I'm having to check under my muscovy every other day, to remove duds... had a few quitters that were starting to stink. Being a first timer she doesn't have the good sense to roll the stinkers out
lol.png

Any day now, though. I swear I felt an egg move yesterday.

Congrats on the brooding turkey. I hope you will have some babies soon. But marking the eggs is a great idea. All the ones that I have my broodies are hatching are marked. This way I know which egg were laid later by my other chicken and can be removed.

BWT, did a 1 week eggs count. I've tossed some that were not developing but my hens ate 5 of the eggs they were incubating. Funny thing is all the eggs they ate were sllkie and silkie/dom eggs. They didn't eat any of the SLW or Orp eggs. Not sure why they have started eating their eggs? I removed some of eggs underneath them and put them in the incubator. I left my last duck egg underneath them but I'll be very ****** if they ate that one.

BWT, did a 1 week eggs count. I've tossed some that were not developing but my hens ate 5 of the eggs they were incubating. Funny thing is all the eggs they ate were sllkie and silkie/dom eggs. They didn't eat any of the SLW or Orp eggs. Not sure why they have started eating their eggs? I removed some of eggs underneath them and put them in the incubator. I left my last duck egg underneath them but I'll be very ****** if they ate that one.

I've noticed chickens will eat eggs with thin shells.. so maybe that's the case? Duck eggs have pretty thick shells.

Mark them with known dates- help you eliminate bad eggs.

I know this is little on the extreme side(My OCD took over!!!!)

Here is a picture of the eggs Jayare marked for me(got hatching eggs from him). There are dates, breed and I numbered them on the other side of the egg if the breed and dates were the same. I have a notebook and I keep track of each of the eggs development, This way I have a way to keep track of the eggs that doesn't look like it is going to make it, I don't candle the same egg over and over again, and I know exactly which eggs my chickens ate.

Back
Top Bottom