ALABAMA!!

I am in Gadsden Al. Anyone near here with chickens for sale?

Does anyone have Silkies or Easter eggers forsale?

Quote:

Do you sell chicks?

I'd like. a few pullettes

I noticed these and I think a couple of others that are looking for birds so I thought I would chime in here.

I will be hatching/selling some beautiful (some will be show quality) Ameraucanas (Black, Blue, splash as well as some Easter Eggers) starting next month. I don't actively breed these birds for show. I knew they were nice birds but didn't realize HOW nice until I took two to the show in Knoxville. One took first place in her division (blue pullets out of two) and the other took second in her division (black pullets out of eleven.) This was not just a fair or a small show, there were over a thousand birds entered! I sold them before the show was over to two different people who both made me offers I couldn't refuse.

I will also hatch/sell some free range, farm-bird chicks which are basically just layer mutts that will be good foragers. In addition, I will have some Showgirls (naked necked Silkies) for the first time this spring. I have no idea what they will look like or how good they are, as I have never owned or raised them before. This is the only hen I have...

900x900px-LL-a375cca3_image.jpeg

Mine will be straight run (un-sexed) chicks, and usually I start off selling the Ameraucanas at day olds for $5 - $7 each and the price goes down as they get picked over. The blues go first, the blacks are next and the splash are usually left. I don't mind that, though, I usually keep what ever splashes don't sell as chicks and will either use them for breeding or if I want to sell them at point of lay, I can get $20 - $25 each for them. People don't realize that if you use the splash hens under a black cock or vise versa, ALL the chicks will be blue!

I get $3 each for the mutts.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. It's been a while since I was last here. I got busy for a bit and then the worst possible crap storm showed up. I have spoken about it anywhere because the whole thing put a huge drain on us.

Somewhere around the September to November mark I was dealing with a dog coming into my yard and harassing my chickens, my horse, and the horses pastured with him. I had enough, so Blu and I posted up to wait for it one night. It hadn't showed up by 2:30, so we went inside to get something to snack on. I didn't hear anything for a while and I didn't think it was going to show up. We headed for bed and that's when the noise started. Every chicken in the yard started sounding the alarm. By the time we got outside the dog had already killed 2 of my roosters. Blu managed get a good shot off and the dog didn't make it out of the yard. I lost King and Bucky Barnes- the Buckeye roos I got from Chickadoodles.
hit.gif

The dog had a tag, which isn't usual in my neighborhood. We called the owner on the spot as well as the police to keep it civil. That didn't help any. The police arrived 30 mins late and well after the owner had already arrived. By then I'd already gotten an ear full of ignorance. They tried to take us to court, which didn't get very far. We were well within our rights to shoot the dog, but y'all know that. I've had a few problems with them trying to poison my animals, but they never succeeded. Now I don't have to worry about them at all. The guy was arrested recently for selling drugs in the neighborhood.

The whole thing was just horrible. It was bad enough that I lost King and Bucky after I spent so much time with them. They got pretty friendly. I didn't even get the chance to hatch chicks from them. The hens are fine and penned with one of my Chantecler roos for now.

Other than all of that, things have been going fine. Blu brought home some eggs a while back and they're going into lockdown soon. No idea what they are aside from probably being EEs.
hu.gif

Now to go back and get caught up.

Hey bama.

ETA: I almost forgot about this, but I hatched a really pretty black and white boy out of the eggs I got from you. He got up to a few months old and went on a killing spree. All I have left from the eggs I got are 2 sweet little RIR girls that still haven't started laying.
lol.png
Then again, only one of the girls from Meyer have started laying and I have no idea which one it is. It's either a Golden Comet or a BO.

Last edited:
Hey bama.

ETA: I almost forgot about this, but I hatched a really pretty black and white boy out of the eggs I got from you. He got up to a few months old and went on a killing spree. All I have left from the eggs I got are 2 sweet little RIR girls that still haven't started laying. :lol:  Then again, only one of the girls from Meyer have started laying and I have no idea which one it is. It's either a Golden Comet or a BO.

What all did he kill?

Quote:
He got a BA first, then Ugly Chicken (I think she was Houdan/Silkie), tried to kill an EE and a BO, killed most of my RIR I hatched, and at least 4 other EEs. Most of those he got in one day. All of the survivors have turned out to be hens. I sold him since there was no way I could keep him until he was worth eating.

He got a BA first, then Ugly Chicken (I think she was Houdan/Silkie), tried to kill an EE and a BO, killed most of my RIR I hatched, and at least 4 other EEs. Most of those he got in one day. All of the survivors have turned out to be hens. I sold him since there was no way I could keep him until he was worth eating.

His dad killed a hawk and ate it.

Back
Top Bottom