ALABAMA!!

Lol, War Eagle lol!!! Opelika here!
War Eagle!! Hope you like water.. lots and lots of water. We had nearly 12.5 inches of rain as Sally went through. Power was out some 12+ hours, and I'm afraid the eggs in the incubator are no longer viable. I'm sure the house I moved from in Seminole, AL is up to its eyeballs in water.

OH MY GOODNESS!!! That's a lot!!!
Not quite as much as the gulf coast got, or Seminole AL, where I previously lived just off the river. House had 18" of rain in it back in May 2014.. took months to get a contractor in there to fix it back up.. I wasn't interested in doing a repeat... So last year I moved inland. YAY... hate to see how much water got in the house this time, as the eye of the storm passed just west of Seminole... OUCH

@ElizH - From experiences, a few things! We also have chickens and have raised them together fine in the past. However, our Khaki males tend to not only protect the lady ducks (we have a bully hen who used to be mean to our female duck) but also if you end up with all male ducks - they will go for the chickens if you catch my drift!
:eek:

PREDATOR PROOFING. I cannot stress enough. If you have gaps in their nighttime enclosure, you risk losing them. We just recently had an issue losing our beloved female duck to a massive chicken snake. Set yourself a game camera or nest cam up on the pen or inside the coop to check out potential issues. We also get giant gopher rats trying to get into our feed, so try and keep feed contained where you can remove it at night and not invite little buggers in there. Where mice and rats end up, snakes follow. We also used to get raccoons and possum alot, but responsible trapping helps. That is a good opportunity to learn about tanning!

Remember, duckies love the water and love to swim. Have yourself a setup easily cleanable. =)
We have 3 fully enclosed runs and coops - and are building a 4th. We just finished building a 5'x6'x2'deep pond for the ducks that we will be filling with water this weekend. I've got a pump and filter for the pond so hopefully that will keep it clean-ish with the 5 ducks in it. We haven't had any predator issues - yet.... but we check for holes, etc. every weekend.
We've been told a neighbor lost his entire flock to a coyote... but he just let his chickens run loose in the yard and didn't even put them up at night, so in my mind he wasn't being a very responsible chicken keeper.... Since we heard that we put bricks around the bottoms of the runs to discourage anything from attempting to dig under.

Alabama Folks! Not sure if this is allowed or not (feel free to delete if it isn't) but I have several chicks & ducks that I am selling. :)

Will be 6 weeks old on 10/2/20:
4 Barred Rocks Pullets
2 Sultans - Straight Run
1 Crevecoeur - Straight Run

1 Roo & 1 Pullet - Blue Laced Red Wyandottes (She should start to lay end of November - currently 11 weeks old)

5 Cayuga Ducklings - Straight Run - These little guys hatched 9/24/20 so they are almost a week old.

Alabama Folks! Not sure if this is allowed or not (feel free to delete if it isn't) but I have several chicks & ducks that I am selling. :)

Will be 6 weeks old on 10/2/20:
4 Barred Rocks Pullets
2 Sultans - Straight Run
1 Crevecoeur - Straight Run

1 Roo & 1 Pullet - Blue Laced Red Wyandottes (She should start to lay end of November - currently 11 weeks old)

5 Cayuga Ducklings - Straight Run - These little guys hatched 9/24/20 so they are almost a week old.
What county? :D

Back
Top Bottom