ALABAMA!!

@EverythingDucks - no preference but do love Nubians
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

I've been able to find a few breeders through the farm and garden section on Craigslist. Just be sure that they are reputable breeders and aren't just selling off their problems. What you really want to look for is a registered herd.

What are you hoping to get out of owning goats? I personally am wanting to get milk (and make soap!) along with kids to sell which will help pay for the cost of owning them. And for fun really, I love watching them bounce around and climb on things.

Hi! We're in central AL and breed dwarf goats. https://www.instagram.com/acmaracresfarm/ < is us! We won't have any babies until spring, but we have a gal now that should be due Jan/Feb. :)
All your animals are adorable!

If you don't mind me asking, do you ever sell adult does who have had kids and are used to being milked? I have a few breeders that I'm going to contact, but most people just sell the babies it seems.
Since these will be my first goats and I do plan on breeding and milking I would like to find a doe that is used to the whole process, just to make it easier since I'll be new to it all.
Would you happen to know if many people sell older does or do you ever sell them?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

I've been able to find a few breeders through the farm and garden section on Craigslist. Just be sure that they are reputable breeders and aren't just selling off their problems. What you really want to look for is a registered herd.

What are you hoping to get out of owning goats? I personally am wanting to get milk (and make soap!) along with kids to sell which will help pay for the cost of owning them. And for fun really, I love watching them bounce around and climb on things.
Not to contradict this advice, but if you're not looking to breed and sell for higher prices or show your goats buying registered goats is mostly preference. None of my goats are registered, but all are very healthy and serve the purpose that I need them for. We do not use our goats for milk (at this point - though we may try making soap in the future, too many other projects right now). We use our goats for land management - they help us keep the kudzu and privet beat back so that we don't lose our yard to it. They LOVE kudzu. Our goats are mostly pets that we breed here and there to make a bit of money to help with feed costs. We treat them more like dogs than livestock. It's all about what YOU are going to use your goats for. If you're wanting goats that will absolutely produce a lot of milk then buying from a registered line of proven dairy goats is your smartest choice. If you're looking for pets, registered goats can be expensive. It's a lot like buying purebred dogs vs. a mixed breed pup.

My advice is always visit the farm your goats are coming from - check out the conditions of where they're living, ask how often they are wormed and the farm's practices in regards to their health care - what minerals they use, etc. and only buy from places that appear to take good care of their animals.

All your animals are adorable!

If you don't mind me asking, do you ever sell adult does who have had kids and are used to being milked? I have a few breeders that I'm going to contact, but most people just sell the babies it seems.
Since these will be my first goats and I do plan on breeding and milking I would like to find a doe that is used to the whole process, just to make it easier since I'll be new to it all.
Would you happen to know if many people sell older does or do you ever sell them?
Most people that have older does that are used to being milked hang on to them, but if you catch someone who is downsizing you can sometimes find someone who is letting one go. Bottle babies generally end up being the easiest to milk because they tend to be much more trusting. Even a doe that someone else can milk easily will take time for you to be able to earn her trust as well. Nilla wafers go a long way in earning trust, in my experience.

I don't have any older does that I'd be willing to sell. I have a small herd, just 6 goats right now. If I hear of any I'll let you know!

Back
Top Bottom