ALABAMA!!

Hello! New to BYC. Actually been on here since April, but just signed up. Had to read and learn fast:) Told hubby that I wanted chickens----meant like 4 or 5. He went to TS and came home with 41!!!
th.gif
They had a new shipment coming in and had marked them down to $1 each. Only lost 1. They are now 12 weeks old. 11 were Cornixh X, 3 BO (2 roos), 11 White Leghorn (8 roos), I know, I know!! BUT the rest are red SexLink (Red Star). Gotta do something with those Roos!!! Looking forward to meeting some fellow Alabamian Chicken Lovers!

PS Also have 4 laying hens that I got from my daughter. Dont have a clue what they are---haven't had time to figure it out
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
, but I love those eggs!

Last edited:
Hello! New to BYC. Actually been on here since April, but just signed up. Had to read and learn fast:) Told hubby that I wanted chickens----meant like 4 or 5. He went to TS and came home with 41!!!
th.gif
They had a new shipment coming in and had marked them down to $1 each. Only lost 1. They are now 12 weeks old. 11 were Cornixh X, 3 BO (2 roos), 11 White Leghorn (8 roos), I know, I know!! BUT the rest are red SexLink (Red Star). Gotta do something with those Roos!!! Looking forward to meeting some fellow Alabamian Chicken Lovers!

PS Also have 4 laying hens that I got from my daughter. Dont have a clue what they are---haven't had time to figure it out
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
, but I love those eggs!

I'm new to Alabama but not BYC. I'm about 30 minutes south of Huntsville. Thats a lot of chickens, especially if you were only expecting 4 or 5. Have you processed the cornish? You can let the roos grow out a bit more and process them too or process them now. You may be able to "give away" some roos as a condition of selling some of your hens if you are looking to downsize.
And
welcome-byc.gif

th.gif

D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
, but I love those eggs!

Welcome to the group!!!
Congrat on your 41+ chckens.
lol.png
If nothing else, you have a lots of chickens and eggs to eat.
lau.gif

Does anyone know of someone that sell A&M Quails in Shelby county? I have a friend that found one and is looking to find her a mate.

Dont think I can eat that many eggs
sickbyc.gif
But will do our best:) I live about 45 minutes south of Montgomery. Welcome to Alabama jdywntr!! We did process the CX. Should have done it at 6 weeks, but waited til 8. The hens were 5.5-6.5 lbs. The roos were 6.75-7.25 Not exactly fryers:) Not many people around here want White Leghorn (looking for those brown egg layers). May have to process them too. Will keep looking for a happy home for them til about 18 weeks old. Then we'll see......Would like to get some more meaties, just not sure about the CX ....any suggestions?

Hey Bama Gal, I am about 45 minutes to an hour south of Montgomery as well! We must be pretty close-are you in Coosa County?? I think it is awesome that you are processing. We have a ton of biting gnats and yellow jackets and they go into a frenzy at processing time, so we have never been able to do more than one or two at a time. Did you guys run into that problem?

As far as suggestions on meaties, we have raised the cornish X and processed in batches and we liked them. We have also processed some DP. I like the flavor of the DP more and the texture is more meat-like, but I also had to pressure cook them to get them tender enough for everyone's taste. I am raising wheaten marans and lavender orp now with the intention of eating culls. I don't think we will go with cornish X again because 1. They all need to be processed in a short window of time and 2. We have 4 hens setting, so no need to go buy babies ... lol! I have to admit that we are fascinated by the slower growing broilers, which seem kind of middle of the line-like they may have a little more flavor since you process them later and they are more able to free range but can still be processed earlier than DP which may make for a more tender bird. If you try something else, I would love to know how it works out for you!

Butler County! Ok, I have to ask........what is a DP?
hu.gif
Hubby wants to get a few Dorkings. They are a dual purpose bird. Don't know where he thinks we will put them LOL. I know the Leghorns will be scrawny, but good frying size. If DP are better than what we've eaten......then I want a DP too, just as soon as I find out what it is:) We didn't have a problem with gnats and yellow jackets, but did have to turn the shop fan on my work area because of flies. COULD NOT HAVE THAT!! Fan worked well. They were awful that week, but seem to have died out some. Probably due to the hotter drier weather. We were getting numerous showers that week. I love having fresh chicken that did what chickens do naturally, ate what chickens eat and not pumped full of hormone laden food! Thought about keeping the 2 BO roos and letting my 1 poor BO hen sit some eggs. They are a pretty large chicken without being in the same category as the CX...could process the culls.

Back
Top Bottom