Alarming behavior from Silkie

Ernie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 19, 2009
Seattle, WA
Ernie is acting very strange this afternoon and we're really worried about her. She's been in the nestbox and is just kind of spinning in place with her head in the bedding looking very unsettled. She's also had kind of odd looks recently - nothing really quantifiable, she just looked odd (kind of like she was losing her marbles a little bit). Any ideas? All of the other chickens are fine. How long do silkies live? Ernie is going on 4 and I'm just wondering if it's "her time". Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Paul

Have you checked the coupe and nest box carefully to see if she is looking for something or if something is in there frightening her?

It definitely seems like a behavioral (whether that be health or neurological I don't know) thing - not an external stimulus causing it. I'm hoping she's ok and will be keeping a close eye on her.

So, today she wouldn't come down from the hen house and needed help getting back up into it tonight. Her neck is kind of droopy and she seems confused. She ate fine today and was interacting with the other chickens, but there's definitely something wrong with her. Any ideas?

My friend and I both have silkies that act like that when they get broody. We were just talking about that tonight, they act like they are 1/2 dead in a hibernation. Has she been broody before? I think that is normal broody behavior...and then they don't eat or drink unless it is pushed on them. Have you tried putting her outside or something. They usually snap out of it when they are moved, but are very eager to get back to their nesting spot. (Silkies are supposed to live 10-15 years.)

Thanks for the input, and yes, she's been broody multiple times. I guess I've just never noticed this particular behavior. The good news is that she came down and went back up on her own today. I'm still worried about her, but it helps to know others have seen this 'normal' behavior
smile.png

I will say that my Silkie girls are WIERD... I have often thought before that that they may be ill but usually they are looking for extra material to utilise for their nesting... My two adult Silkie females are both broody and laying on eggs as I write this... I have observed strange behaviour with both of them - very different at times from each other and I usually DO HAVE to lift them both from their respective eggs, otherwise I am sure that when they go into their trance like state they would not leave the nest to eat nor drink!

Once I move them away from their eggs they eat, drink and pass a horrendous smelling poop - ugh! The pleasures of owning broody Silkie girls = they also race around flapping their wings, shrieking out loud and then they settle back down to the task in hand.... this is a twice daily event - I always know when I go into their respective accommodation(s) that they have pooped - the smell permeates a wide area.

Maman also scratches around and her eggs fly in all directions, her head swivels around and she will destroy any other nests she gets access to!

Silkies are unnaturally natural!

Hope all goes well!

Suzie

I'd get her on some antibiotics. Maybe an ear infection or some other type of infection. Check her to make sure she's not eggbound. Give her a good mite and lice treatment.

BTW, she's not screetching at you is she? She's not all ruffled up and acting icky?

Last edited:
I will say that my Silkie girls are WIERD... I have often thought before that that they may be ill but usually they are looking for extra material to utilise for their nesting... My two adult Silkie females are both broody and laying on eggs as I write this... I have observed strange behaviour with both of them - very different at times from each other and I usually DO HAVE to lift them both from their respective eggs, otherwise I am sure that when they go into their trance like state they would not leave the nest to eat nor drink!

Once I move them away from their eggs they eat, drink and pass a horrendous smelling poop - ugh! The pleasures of owning broody Silkie girls = they also race around flapping their wings, shrieking out loud and then they settle back down to the task in hand.... this is a twice daily event - I always know when I go into their respective accommodation(s) that they have pooped - the smell permeates a wide area.

Maman also scratches around and her eggs fly in all directions, her head swivels around and she will destroy any other nests she gets access to!

Silkies are unnaturally natural!

Hope all goes well!

Suzie

Yeah, definately the WIERDEST of broody behaviors!!! Mine will take a few minutes to snap out of it when I move her to the ground...but in the meantime she put all sorts of wierd things on top of herself to make a nest wherever she is on her back. But I get really worried too while they are acting like that cuz she acts so out of it, yet into her nesting...not even on eggs in her case! She will eat, so I give her watery foods, but it is hard not to worry when they are hallucinating over mythical eggs, and so flimsy and low on energy! My silkie doesn't scretch or ruffle her feathers like my other broody hens, she just goes wierd! When I move her, which I try and do once a day, she does snap out of it, act normal for a little, gets her energy back, but then ends up broody again in a half hour-hour or so. You might want to test her out like that by putting her somewhere outside or in a food area, and if she is just boody, she will snap out of it for a little, and then get herself back to her spot again.
Is she eating? Can you give her canned corn or lettuce? That is what I'm feeding my girl while she sits there.
Here is Aurora,2 weeks ago. She's still there, but looking a little flatter, and feeling skinnier. Sometimes she'll put her head down, wings out and her butt up in the air to protect her mythical eggs. Can't wait until she is back to normal again!!!

Back
Top Bottom