"Alarmist" chick--curious about behavior

sillygolucky

Songster
Feb 3, 2021
NE Indiana
Hello BYC friends! 🤗

New chickie Momma here 🥰🐥 Just a question on chick/chicken behavior. We have 11 chicks that are 7 days old (we've had them for 5). They are all extremely friendly (we've interacted with them a lot and on their terms) and healthy!

However, we have one Ameraucana who we call "Mrs. Kravitz" (if you remember the neighbor lady in Bewitched lolol). Mrs. K (the chick) alllways has to know what everyone is doing and has her nose in it, and she also is quite...exuberant...about EVERYthing. She never does anything slowly--zipping around like crazy with a one-track mind! When we come to the brooder, she rockets to the door, flapping her wings with bedding flying behind her to greet us. If I call for them or tap my leg, she spazzily runs over everyone to be the first one there. lol. And just today, she (and a few others) have started finding little bits of whatever in the brooder and running around like a nutball, squeaking, and getting everyone in an uproar LOL 😆 (I assume this isn't abnormal behavior...we're just curious about it hehe) In fact, I noticed most everyone was cheeping loudly a lot today, which is not normal. None of their surroundings, food, etc...have changed to cause any upset.

Now, there IS a chance Mrs. K is a Mr. because the hatchery sent us a few extras...one being an extra Ameraucana and they didn't tell us the sex. (We're kinda bummed, it's our first flock and we really wanted just gals for ease of the learning curve. We will be okay with one roo, but if we have two...😒)

Anyway, is "her" behavior typical for the chick age, or is it just her personality, or is that more of a male type of behavior (rushing to anything that anyone gets excited about and alarms about it?)?

Thanks for any insight! Much appreciated 😌

Every chick and chicken has its own personality. I say it is completely normal for her. She may be the one to loudly cluck at you when she is older telling you she either wants to free range or wants a treat. My Easter Egger Clarabelle does this every time she sees me.

Every chick and chicken has its own personality. I say it is completely normal for her. She may be the one to loudly cluck at you when she is older telling you she either wants to free range or wants a treat. My Easter Egger Clarabelle does this every time she sees me.
Mrs. Kravitz certainly is not shy in letting everyone know what she thinks 😆 I bet you're right, when she's older she will be more assertive in expressing her wants! lol!

Mrs. Kravitz certainly is not shy in letting everyone know what she thinks 😆 I bet you're right, when she's older she will be more assertive in expressing her wants! lol!
I have had Easter eggs for some time and I haven’t been able to determine gender based on behavior. So she could be either a pullet or cockerel. Only time will tell.

I have had Easter eggs for some time and I haven’t been able to determine gender based on behavior. So she could be either a pullet or cockerel. Only time will tell.
Yeah, from what I have read so far, it could be even (up to) 4 months from now before we know. lol. We're fine waiting it out! I just really enjoy "chicken psychology", if you will...hehe...I can sit there at the brooder for an hour easily just watching them!! They are so fascinating 😍🤓

Yeah, from what I have read so far, it could be even (up to) 4 months from now before we know. lol. We're fine waiting it out! I just really enjoy "chicken psychology", if you will...hehe...I can sit there at the brooder for an hour easily just watching them!! They are so fascinating 😍🤓
It is a fun guessing game and the 16 weeks or more will seem like forever.

Warning... Chicken Math is a real disease. There is no cure. We will all support you on BYC. Because we all are affected by Chicken Math.

It is a fun guessing game and the 16 weeks or more will seem like forever.

Warning... Chicken Math is a real disease. There is no cure. We will all support you on BYC. Because we all are affected by Chicken Math.
HA! So THAT is what Chicken Math is. hehe. I hadn't quite caught on yet...I've seen it mentioned here and there on the forum. OHhhh boy. Well, guess I got the bug! 🤣🤣

And yes, I think 16 weeks will seem like years LOL...because we've only had them 5 days and it seems like it's been at least a month! haha!!

Just for fun, here are some still shots from a video I took today of one of my brooder visits! You can see Mrs. K waiting at the zipper 😂😂 Of course she barrelled out! Moments later all 11 were crawling on me. I even got a few snuggles 😍😍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210616-205946_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210616-205946_Video Player.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20210616-210013_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210616-210013_Video Player.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20210616-210058_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210616-210058_Video Player.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210616_170933.jpg
    20210616_170933.jpg