Alas, my rooster and I broke up...

I raise pure Rhode Island Reds both Rose Comb and Single Comb. I know hatchery stock can sometimes be aggravating, but I've never had any issues with my males so I can't say many of the RIR's are evil and bad. I love my Reds. I started chicken keep too around 50 years ago. My originals were Leghorns.
My RIR champions at a show.
IMG_3455.JPG
IMG_3456.JPG

I wonder if you could use a Bielefelder? Either just to raise the pure breed, or to develop something like a Rhodebar.

I don't know what country you're in, but I'm in the US and Bielefelders are available at several hatcheries in this country. They are an autosexing dual-purpose breed.

Or you might be able to use a Cream Legbar and Rhode Island Reds, because the Legbars are also autosexing (although they lay blue eggs and have a more slender body than Rhode Island Reds.)
They are very, very pretty! Thanks for the tip!

I have had both breeds as roosters. My first rooster, a BR turned aggressive at 1 year...but I also rescued a RIR male at that time which was just starting to crow, which may not of helped. The BR was aggressive to everyone, sneaking up behind them and attacking with Bruce Lee skills. When my RIR finally came into his own he went after the BR and wouldn't let up. Literally trying to kill him. We put both of them down. We have had 2 BR's since, both from the original roosters lineage and both have been great roosters and never shown aggression. Also, except for the RIR, we never handled our roosters.

I wonder if you could use a Bielefelder? Either just to raise the pure breed, or to develop something like a Rhodebar.

I don't know what country you're in, but I'm in the US and Bielefelders are available at several hatcheries in this country. They are an autosexing dual-purpose breed.

Or you might be able to use a Cream Legbar and Rhode Island Reds, because the Legbars are also autosexing (although they lay blue eggs and have a more slender body than Rhode Island Reds.)
I have Bielefelder sand they are awesome. They definitely look similar as well. I have a rooster about a year old. I did the hands off approach. I had one bout of aggression which was dealt with swiftly and we are all good again.

Ah, you are the one who left me the tip about Bielefelders! Thank you SO MUCH! I researched them and went out and bought a one year old rooster who is the prettiest rooster I've even seen/owned! Also two unrelated 3 month old pullets! I am delighted with them. Both were hatched from Murray Mcmurray eggs. Here's what I posted about them: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...k-rooster-for-my-flock.1477975/#post-24627378
But I'll say now on the second day, the rooster made himself king of my flock of 15 without even a serious fight with my RIR cockerel, is on constant guard duty, alerts the girls to yummies, told my hens in no uncertain terms to leave his two girls alone (I could integrate them the very first day!), is a gentleman with the younger girls who rebuff his advances, and is not one bit aggressive toward me!! Where has this breed been all my life? I'm so delighted having found them!!! Thanks again....

I’m ignorant when it comes to breeding results.
I do know how to dominate an overly aggressive rooster. There are some options.
You can butcher the RIR. Chicken n dumplings!
You can give him a new home. I have given my excess roosters away on Craigslist. I also allow my hens to go broody as they wish. The resulting chicks are weeded out and given away- one or two with a rooster to help promote chicken keeping in and around my area. I keep in contact and help if they need. I will even offer some of my new stock from the hatchery, as well. We share info and encouragement and any good deals we come across.
OR you can quietly and gently pull your RIR off the roost when they are quiet for the night. I take my feisty boy into the run, hold him down on the back with one hand. With the other hand I gently press his head to the ground. You’ll recognize this as the hen submissive posture. You hold his head down for about 30 seconds. You can repeat this a few times a night for awhile until you begin to see a good change in his behavior. Or at this time you can dispose of him if it does not work.
My bantam cochin began to sidle around me after the ‘mean’ dominate rooster was removed from the flock. I began nightly trips to the roost and it worked with him. I think I nipped it in the bud early enough.
The rooster provides for his hens and calls to them with findings, alerts, and then mates. I began only giving treats through the rooster and he has remained docile around me. You see, I’m no longer usurping his position.
I do speak to him, but am respectful of testosterone and nature’s way to not compromise him in the flock.
All the best to you and please keep us up to date as you work to resolve the aggressiveness.
Regards…
PS the top rooster below was aggressive too long to train. He went to chicken heaven.
The bantam cochin on bottom is an excellent rooster even though the girls are mostly larger than him.

Attachments

• AFDBA9DB-4ADD-4682-9621-0775F091E060.jpeg
    AFDBA9DB-4ADD-4682-9621-0775F091E060.jpeg
    482.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210226_105404.jpg
    20210226_105404.jpg
    624.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I’m ignorant when it comes to breeding results.
I do know how to dominate an overly aggressive rooster. There are some options.
You can butcher the RIR. Chicken n dumplings!
You can give him a new home. I have given my excess roosters away on Craigslist. I also allow my hens to go broody as they wish. The resulting chicks are weeded out and given away- one or two with a rooster to help promote chicken keeping in and around my area. I keep in contact and help if they need. I will even offer some of my new stock from the hatchery, as well. We share info and encouragement and any good deals we come across.
OR you can quietly and gently pull your RIR off the roost when they are quiet for the night. I take my feisty boy into the run, hold him down on the back with one hand. With the other hand I gently press his head to the ground. You’ll recognize this as the hen submissive posture. You hold his head down for about 30 seconds. You can repeat this a few times a night for awhile until you begin to see a good change in his behavior. Or at this time you can dispose of him if it does not work.
My bantam cochin began to sidle around me after the ‘mean’ dominate rooster was removed from the flock. I began nightly trips to the roost and it worked with him. I think I nipped it in the bud early enough.
The rooster provides for his hens and calls to them with findings, alerts, and then mates. I began only giving treats through the rooster and he has remained docile around me. You see, I’m no longer usurping his position.
I do speak to him, but am respectful of testosterone and nature’s way to not compromise him in the flock.
All the best to you and please keep us up to date as you work to resolve the aggressiveness.
Regards…
PS the top rooster below was aggressive too long to train. He went to chicken heaven.
The bantam cochin on bottom is an excellent rooster even though the girls are mostly larger than him.
Wow, those are some very interesting points, especially about putting the errant rooster into a submissive posture. I know that when I gave puppies classes during my career as a dog trainer, I taught my students that your dog must have a lifelong respect for you as leader, and there are body and eye movements and postures (from other dogs and humans) that signal this to the pup.
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts...
As for keeping up to date, I bought the most gorgeous and gentle and wonderful Bielefelder rooster with two non-related Bielefelder pullets, and he is now firmly the king of the flock. It was never in my plans to keep a RIR rooster, but he was sooo sweet until he hit puberty. After his first attack, to which I did not submit, he's been keeping his distance and minding his manners. We weren't friends anymore, but I hoped maybe he'd behave long enough for my craigslist ad to catch someone's interest (there are over 60 free and cheap roosters on ours). Alas, today I was working alone in the barn, no pullets anywhere near. He started hanging around and suddenly attacked from behind and drew blood on my calf. That did it. Hit the road, Jack...

Wow, those are some very interesting points, especially about putting the errant rooster into a submissive posture. I know that when I gave puppies classes during my career as a dog trainer, I taught my students that your dog must have a lifelong respect for you as leader, and there are body and eye movements and postures (from other dogs and humans) that signal this to the pup.
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts...
As for keeping up to date, I bought the most gorgeous and gentle and wonderful Bielefelder rooster with two non-related Bielefelder pullets, and he is now firmly the king of the flock. It was never in my plans to keep a RIR rooster, but he was sooo sweet until he hit puberty. After his first attack, to which I did not submit, he's been keeping his distance and minding his manners. We weren't friends anymore, but I hoped maybe he'd behave long enough for my craigslist ad to catch someone's interest (there are over 60 free and cheap roosters on ours). Alas, today I was working alone in the barn, no pullets anywhere near. He started hanging around and suddenly attacked from behind and drew blood on my calf. That did it. Hit the road, Jack...
Sorry it didn’t work out.
I read where an elderly woman in Arkansas was killed by her roo. I think it was last year or so…he spurred her and hit an artery. She bled out in the coop.
I’m not trying to scare anyone, but the threat should be taken very seriously by us all.
An aggressive rooster is no joke for sure.

I read where an elderly woman in Arkansas was killed by her roo. I think it was last year or so…he spurred her and hit an artery. She bled out in the coop.

I find articles from September of 2019, about a woman in Australia who was 76 years old, and the articles say varicose veins instead of arteries. I don't know if that has enough similarities to be the same story :confused:

Back
Top Bottom