Alaska Chicken Lover's Soup for the Cold!!

Hi Tokajein. I'm between Palmer and Wasilla. Lots of people have chickens. Mostly rural feel here. Its a farming area. And close enough to Anchorage for lots of gentleman farmers.

Mostly, be aware of subdivision covenants before you buy - they spell out limits for livestock, horses, etc. But being rural, some subdivisions are set up to enable horse owners.

When you arriving? Snow is mostly gone by May 1 is why I asked, easier to see how the new yard will support chickens!!!
smile.png

Quote:
Oh I already live in palmer, but don't have my own place yet, that won't be coming until next year or so.
But when I find my own place I want to make sure it is chicken friendly, and possibly goat friendly.
Where I am living currently is a really strange area in Palmer. Right next to my neighborhood are a couple farms, then our neighborhood is strictly residential. So I am having to keep my little peeps at a friends house after they hatch until I can buy my own place, where they are allowed.
What would you say is the cost range of places allowing livestock are?

Your question "The cost range of places allowing livestock?" is difficult without knowing how much house you need. Then matching that to how much you can afford to figure how much land will come with it.

I just looked for 5 or ten acre pieces. The larger lots thin out the number of neighborhood dogs
smile.png
I had built a small cabin on a friend's corner field, then moved it to the land I found. Went to the borough offices and got a xerox of the lots in the neigborhood I wanted and names of owners of each lot. Over a year I wrote on them prices of what was for sale and what it sold for. Located a guy with ten acre pieces not listed and priced way under market - he was old and didn't want his property income to go over a certain limit. It is not in a subdivision so no covenants to worry about. I can get whatever animals I want.

I also went to the borough sale of property (land only) seized for not paying taxes. Bid on a fantastic view piece but didn't get it. Was only a few thousand below top bidder. So close!!! It is closed bids, cashier check for entire amount, but really good deals. The addresses are available the week before the sale so a person can drive around and look at them and research the borough records. The borough had a well recorded on that piece I didn't get.

Check out www.tumbleweedhouses.com for small moveable houses. I'm looking at building these this spring to sell, or rent to sell.

Ahh, that sounds like a good idea actually. I guess i should do some more research about property, and such. I currently don't really have a stable income, but IO should be getting a job job next month, with stable income. Size of house doesn't matter much to me at the moment. When I want to get married and start a family though, i will probably want to get a bigger house, but that is a long ways off I am sure.

so dose anyone know where to get some turkey eggs to hatch that is local. I keep getting out bid in the actions.
he.gif
shout I have even tried calling triple D. I am thinking that eggs maybe to early for a local but maybe some one would know of ether a good hatchery or someone that will sell me some when the turkeys start laying.
Also anyone out there that wants to go in on an order just let me know.

Last edited:
try Sterling Meadow Hatchery they have great hatch rates and are located in Alaska. I don't know if hers are laying. If they aren't I would say B&D game has wild turkey eggs for 1.50 each but the hatchability rate will not be as good. Wish you luck!
fl.gif

Quote:
Triple D might go belly up in April.
Its sad
sad.png

My friend and I talked to the owner.
I want to start a fundraiser to help Triple D out, but I have no idea what I could do.
the economy seems to be effecting all of us
sad.png

Quote:
Its sad
sad.png

I want to start a fundraiser to help Triple D out, but I have no idea what I could do.
sad.png

barnie.gif

Are they going to do any orders?
I do not need any this year. So glad I got my production flock going last year.

Quote:
Its sad
sad.png

sad.png

barnie.gif

Are they going to do any orders?
I do not need any this year. So glad I got my production flock going last year.

Not sure
hmm.png

My friend was going to put in an order for chuckers, but he said they might not be able to do anything like that this year, since they can't afford it.
And yeah that is a good thing, it is also a good thing my other friends family got all their flocks started last year, or else this would be really bad news to them.

Back
Top Bottom