Alaska Chicken Lover's Soup for the Cold!!

Here's Merlin
love.gif

023-2.jpg

Note the size difference between Merlin and George...

021-2.jpg

Trinidad is pretty close to New Mexico and Texas. Lots of pinon pine (nuts...mmmmmm!), mountains and grasslands. Good luck down there, AKpeeps!

Man, it's been a busy spring for us here. The new chicks are now 7 weeks old and running around the backyard with the big girls. DH built me a raised bed and I'm chomping at the bit to plant something in it. I cleaned out the winter's worth of dirty chicken straw and made a chicken wire compost pile. Turned it a little yesterday and it's just a-steaming away!

I hope everyone is delighting in the renewal of Spring!
jumpy.gif

Those of you looking for a good source for large amounts of cow manure/dirt, I have a source for you.
Its not fully turned, buts its super regardless.
10 yards for $100. Trucking is extra. For us it was $150 because we live a full hour away from the farm.
PM me if you want details. I will get you the contacts needed.

Hey everyone, I wanted to drop all you non-Facebookers a line and invite you to Margie's Meet & Greet Extravaganza tomorrow. (Sorry for the short notice, I haven't been on here much at all!)

Here's the Facebook Event info, you should be able to see it even if you aren't on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=188656334487063

This
is just a get-together for all of us that know each other on-line with all of these common interests (agriculture, livestock, real food, etc.) to meet up and get to know each other and fellowship. SO, if you're able, we'd REALLY love to see you there!

Hi - I'm interested. When I hit the link, I could only get the log-in page. I'm not on Facebook and don't wouldn't use it if I was.

Can you supply info? I'd really like to meet some local BYC people.

Quote:
Oops, sorry about that, I don't feel comfortable reposting address and directions all over the internet, but I will check this again in the morning and again around noon and will send info to anyone that has inquired.

The Meet & Greet is from noon tomorrow to 3 a.m. Sunday (or overnight if you want to camp!) in Wasilla off Fairview Loop. PM me for address and directions.

big_smile.png
Hello All Hope I am not interloping. I am new to BYC and live in Alaska 1/2 time in Coldfoot and 1/2 time in Fairbanks. This is my first post. I just recently got 5 Khaki campbells, 6 magpies and 24 Cornish Crosses. I was hoping to get some advice on raising my ducks in the Alaska and thought you guys might be a wealth of knowledge. I have never joined a forum before so hope I have the protocol right.
hmm.png
And if I am interrupting a private conversation I apologize. Here are my questions: How hardy are 2 1/2 week old ducks? When can they be out without a heat lamp? ( It was 39 last night) and when can I take them down to the creek for a swim?
Thanks and hope I am not being a pest,
Danielle

Quote:
Welcome Danielle! You are most welcome here! This is where a lot of us Alaskans come to ask questions and just chat.
smile.png

I raise Mallards right now... it's a little warmer here, but I put them outside when they are getting their adult plumage. I try to remove the heat as soon as possible, but watch them to make sure they're not huddling and too cold. Baby ducks, without the oils from momma, shouldn't be put in cold water until they're fully feathered... if you have a bath tub or are brave enough to use the kitchen sink, you can put luke warm water in there and let them swim for a while. Then dry them off and put them under a heat lamp again until they're dry. Ducky bath time is fun.
smile.png

Not to discourage, but I've had a rough time with my ducks. Might just be me, though. Their feet take a beating in the winter, and I've lost a few that decided to sit in the water dish and then froze to the ground. Can you tell us what you plan for an enclosure?

Again,
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom