Alaska flock

Hi there!
Light brahmas... way to go. Large birds, good eating, good layers, and the hens are supposed to be good mothers. Of course, with the cold, I don't let them set their own eggs anymore because there's too much of a chance they'll get cold. Same with the buff orpingtons... our Buffy is a beautiful big girl, and lays quite consistently.
Since hubby posted, I've added 6 chicks to the layers this year, and a bunch of Cornish x Rocks. We're going to be specializing in Silver Grey Dorkings and Light Brahmas (for the reasons above), silkies, and Mille Fleur D'Uccles. Oh, and quail.
wink.png

Oh, and he survived the reindeer-run... look for a 6' penguin in the videos on you-tube...
wink.png

Well, I decided on Buff Orphington's, ordered 8 pullet chicks this morning and they'll be here in a week so will have to be in the house for a month.

I also ordered two RIR roo chicks at the same time to try to raise to be kind to me and the RIR hens, will let the hens decide if they like one of the guys this summer and the other guy will go to a friend who has a two Easter eggers & two RIR hens and she'll probably get a few more hens right after the kindergarten class does their incubator/hatching (I may take a few, too).

My Pilgrims are still sitting on 7 eggs, hardly eating at all, but the water is being used for bathing and drinking. Here's a pic from tonight when I checked on them, their food level and water:
Image010.jpg

Hoping by the first week (second week at latest) they'll have something to love for their effort! They are more at ease w/me coming in the coop twice a day now;)

Last edited:
Here's a better pic of the hens, they gave me 11 eggs a week ago last Saturday! I'd been gone five days then came back and cleaned the coop, they usually give 9 eggs on cleaning day. They are now 21 months old.
Image004.jpg

Image012.jpg

Last edited:
We hope to move to Alaska within the next few years-- looking the Susitna valley area. If you can raise chickens in Nome, we ought to be ok in the valley. Any special considerations you take for the cold?

For birds, to continue laying thru winter, I provide heat lamps for the heat and light and it helps to have windows in the coops so you take advantage of the heat and light without the price of electricity from Spring thru Summer. Fall & winter its dark.

I use the deep bedding but remove & replace half of it in deep winter every Saturday. I like walk in coops so no matter the weather, you and the birds are "in your own world" and comfy (w/great conversation, great company;)

Everyone says to put a timer on the heat/light lamps but I like to visit the hens and they keep very tame if I go over once or twice a day. It also helps w/a visual for any signs of something not right that can be fixed asap with their health and happiness:)

You wouldn't have to change the bedding as often, especially if everyone's birds are as wasteful as mine are. The snow buntings are eating great this year...picking thru the compost pile that isn't composting as its too cold LOL

Back
Top Bottom