Albino peachick??

furbabymum

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Burns, Wyoming
Lots of peas hatching. I left the mama with 2 eggs and took 6. All 6 hatched. Not sure about hers, she gets testy if I come close so I'm just leaving her alone. Anyway, mother is india blue, father is india blue blackshoulder. This one chick is not like the others. The eyes look kind of red to me. The leg and beak are more pink/red than the others. Opinions???

Also, if it is albino how do I care for it???

That's a cute Black Shoulder peababy,
clap.gif
its mom must be split to Black Shoulder.

It's definitely not "albino," you can read more about Pea colors/patterns on the Peafowl Stickies:

"Sticky" Threads for the "Peafowl" forum:

That's a cute Black Shoulder peababy,
clap.gif
its mom must be split to Black Shoulder.

It's definitely not "albino," you can read more about Pea colors/patterns on the Peafowl Stickies:

"Sticky" Threads for the "Peafowl" forum:

I know my peahens parents were both plain india blue. Blackshoulder must be father back in the lineage.

This is what makes pea genetics so fun and confusing!
You can't get a BS baby without both parents being at least split to BS.
But a pea can be split to BS and look like a regular ol' IB, so surprises sometimes appear!

Here's what our surprise looked like:

I thought both parents were IBs!

Since the question of albinism seems to come up often online in relation to white or mainly white peas (and people searching here may come across this thread), it may be useful to clarify:

albinism: Congenital absence of any pigmentation or coloration in a person, animal, or plant, resulting in white hair and pink eyes in mammals.
vs.
leucism: A partial loss of pigmentation in a human or other animal, resulting in white, pale, or patchy coloration of the skin, hair, fur, or feathers but not the eyes (this is the situation with White peas, and Pied = partial leucism)

(please correct me if this is wrong, peapeople!)

Back
Top Bottom