1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alerting for planes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GatsbysGirl, Nov 29, 2012.

1. GatsbysGirl

GatsbysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Central Illinois
    While I was home at lunch I let the flock out. I have 5 hens and 3 j roos. 2 of my roos are good to the ladies and keep watch over things. The third is bound for the freezer. While I was hanging out with them a plane flew overhead and Frick and Elvis sounded the alarm. All hens ran back to the coop and the boys stood guard at the coop door. Is this normal to alert on a plane? I guess flying thing could mean hawk and a chicken may not be able to tell the difference. Once the "threat" passed everyone came out again.

I guess as a human the difference between a plane and hawk is clear to me, maybe not to a rooster?

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Our rooster doesn't seem to be very alert about anything, so I would consider that a good thing.

3. krackowpolish

krackowpolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    fallbrook
    those are good roos! yes my hen(who has a baby) makes an alarm when something flies overhead and her baby hides.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by