Alfalfa cubes?

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I have seen where people have been feeding their chickens soaked alfalfa cubes. I was wondering why like for a snack or does it help in a specific area? And I have heard that hay can cause impaction? Do these not? I have placed hay or straw in the run for the mud and I know they eat some of it but to offer it as a snack? I am interested in giving some but was worried about the impaction. Thanks.

Alfalfa is high in protein and calcium. If you live somewhere that you can't let your birds free-range and eat grass, it's a good substitute to get some greens in their diet.

With the alfalfa cubes it is a bunch of small chopped up pieces compressed together so the risk of impaction would be very small. I just take a few cubes and put them in a bucket with water and within about one hour you have a giant expanded bucket of greens. It is very economical.

The alfalfa cubes are really easy to use and once they try it, the chickadees really like it. I think impaction is caused when they consume grass items that are long. It sometimes gets twisted around forming a ball. Alfalfa cubes are wee little pieces and are very safe.

Back
Top Bottom