Alfalfa cubes?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hennyhandler, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have seen where people have been feeding their chickens soaked alfalfa cubes. I was wondering why like for a snack or does it help in a specific area? And I have heard that hay can cause impaction? Do these not? I have placed hay or straw in the run for the mud and I know they eat some of it but to offer it as a snack? I am interested in giving some but was worried about the impaction. Thanks.

2. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Alfalfa is high in protein and calcium. If you live somewhere that you can't let your birds free-range and eat grass, it's a good substitute to get some greens in their diet.

3. lcammack

lcammack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    With the alfalfa cubes it is a bunch of small chopped up pieces compressed together so the risk of impaction would be very small. I just take a few cubes and put them in a bucket with water and within about one hour you have a giant expanded bucket of greens. It is very economical.

4. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    The alfalfa cubes are really easy to use and once they try it, the chickadees really like it. I think impaction is caused when they consume grass items that are long. It sometimes gets twisted around forming a ball. Alfalfa cubes are wee little pieces and are very safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by