Alfalfa for chickens

Hi Allen

Can you explain me,

Can I give Alfalfa hay to my flock hen layers every week ??

Red clover its good too ???

thank you so much

--Jorge

Jorge - I keep a bale of alfalfa in the chicken coop in the winter when the chickens can't forage. It is high in protein and calcium. The chickens will pick through and find the leafy bits and not eat the really course stems- they will combine with the bedding. If you keep plenty of water and grit available there should be no problems with crop impaction. Red clover would also be good - it is a legume like alfalfa. I seeded the chicken forage area with red clover this year for fresh foraging.

It is winter. My chickens don't have the same access to greens that they do in other seasons. To this end, I bought a bag of alfalfa cubes, 40# for $10.

I ferment the cubes. They are put in a large jar and covered with water and a bit of the fermented water from the fermented feed. It all gets very mushy but recognizable. The cubes are great because all the alfalfa is in tiny bits, not likely to impact a crop. I would guess they eat a cube or two a day for six chix.

The chickens get it daily, along with their fermented feed. They LOVE it and eat it all gone.

Back
Top Bottom