1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alfalfa or Hay?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cambriagardener, May 13, 2009.

1. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I want to put a hay bale in the run with my six-week-old chicks. I figured they could tear it apart then I could spread it on the ground and later compost it.

The feed store man suggested alfalfa as he said it has more protein. I'm sure you all know what is best for ground cover in runs. What do you think?[​IMG]

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    They will probably find the alfalfa tastier but would enjoy either. Whatever kind you get, make sure they have access to plenty of grit, or you may end up with impacted crops.

3. thedeacon

thedeacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Midwest
    Do not add the whole bale at once. Only give them a slab at a time. Once it is shredded, then add another slab. Hay will pack down, will hold moisture and not break down very fast.

4. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    I personally use alfalfa but thats cuz I get it in one ton bales for my horses and im not gonna order straw for the chickens....one small bale would last them longer than the straw would keep. The alfalfa is alot more healthy for them if they do decide to eat it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by