Any use for the feed dust? Bake a chicken cake?

chickeyumass

Chirping
Jun 15, 2023
I feed my 14 week old pullets starter/grower crumbles and the fine powder at bottom of feeder gets ignored or spread on the ground. I put some in a bowl and added water and there was some interest from birds. I could try and ferment but this would be total mush. I am almost tempted to treat the dust like flour and make a gluten free nut bread for the chicks. Any other suggestions?

I feed my 14 week old pullets starter/grower crumbles and the fine powder at bottom of feeder gets ignored or spread on the ground. I put some in a bowl and added water and there was some interest from birds. I could try and ferment but this would be total mush. I am almost tempted to treat the dust like flour and make a gluten free nut bread for the chicks. Any other suggestions?
I wouldn't cook with it - that will degrade the nutrients. The vitamin mix is often what's left behind in the dust, and is one of the most important things they need to eat. Just mix it with some water to consistency of applesauce and feed it to your birds. No fermenting required. They will love it!

I wouldn't cook with it - that will degrade the nutrients. The vitamin mix is often what's left behind in the dust, and is one of the most important things they need to eat. Just mix it with some water to consistency of applesauce and feed it to your birds. No fermenting required. They will love it!
I should try this! There's always dust at the bottom of the bowl nobody eats.

My chickens love it. Dry dust = boring. Add water and it's an instant treat. Some folks mix with yogurt to add probiotics or with other liquids but water is easy and always available.
x2 This is the healthiest treat you can give them! My ladies and gentleman get wet mash every evening, and when they see that black rubber bowl they come running, lol

Mine hate wet feed :confused:
It rains so often here we have a lot of wastage that way. Only some of the feeders can be sheltered because we have to spread them out for the different age groups to get equal opportunity. It's so frustrating having to dump wet feed on the ground, I really wish they did eat it like people say.

Mine hate wet feed :confused:
It rains so often here we have a lot of wastage that way. Only some of the feeders can be sheltered because we have to spread them out for the different age groups to get equal opportunity. It's so frustrating having to dump wet feed on the ground, I really wish they did eat it like people say.
I'm gonna say it, your chickens are unique. Sorry you have trouble getting them to eat that.

Any spoiled feed or that I don't use, I compost it. That way it I get some use out of it.

Back
Top Bottom