Alfalfa Pelets

Quote:
Most any feed store will carry those things. For rice bran, you might have to call around to feed stores that cater to horses.

Rice bran, is that the light weight hulls? If so how do you feed it chickens or horses?
Joe

I don't really know about feeding it to chickens. But with my horses I just bought it in a pelleted form and started out with a little tiny bit and then slowly increased the amount given so they didn't get sick.

Quote:
Most any feed store will carry those things. For rice bran, you might have to call around to feed stores that cater to horses.

Rice bran, is that the light weight hulls? If so how do you feed it chickens or horses?
Joe

It's sold as a pellet or a meal. I buy the meal as it's about $5 a bag cheaper. Most of my chickens and duck will eat it dry, but you can always add it to alfalfa pellets and soak the whole mess. That's how I feed it to my horses, soaked with the alfalfa cubes.

Is alfalfa hay OK for chickens? Do you have to cut it up into really small pieces or soak it? I see it at the pet store with the rabbit food in little bales. My chickens might like it but I don't want to give it to them if it can make them get an impacted crop. They have grit free choice in their run, BTW.

I've had the feed mill add alfalfa pellets to the ration in the winter to keep the yolks darker. Lately, I've just been giving them bales of alfalfa to pick through. It keeps them busy.

Quote:

Joe

I have fed rice bran to an underweight horse. Never fed it to the chickens. It was very expensive, thought it did help put weight on the old horse. I just added it to his regular feed.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi,
We used beet pellets, two cups of pellets soaked in a quart of water, to put weight on our TB. A bag last a really long time. We'll check rice bran, he's on alpha and grass hay, no other grains since he tend to be on the hot side. I'll try beet pellet on our birds as well.
Joe

Quote:
Hi,
We used beet pellets, two cups of pellets soaked in a quart of water, to put weight on our TB. A bag last a really long time. We'll check rice bran, he's on alpha and grass hay, no other grains since he tend to be on the hot side. I'll try beet pellet on our birds as well.
Joe

Joe,
I have fed the rice bran once (1 bag). Old TB. He now gets soaked shredded beet pulp and it is much easier on the wallet! I feed the soaked beet pulp to all three horses. They do very well on it, though it is not their favorite. Thanks for the tip though!
ginny

Back
Top Bottom