Alfalfa Pellets?

Ohhhdear

Songster
9 Years
Aug 15, 2010
West Michigan
I was in TSC last week and saw bags of pelleted various grasses; timothy, alfalfa, clover. The pellets were quite large, maybe 3,4 times the size of Purina Layena pellets (a bag was busted open so I could see them). They smell like freshly cut hay.

Since there's nothing green at all here in Michigan, and my girls were used to free ranging a rather large area, I wondered if adding hay would be a good supplement for their diet. I was thinking on soaking the pellets and adding it as a component to their hot mash. They also get either Kent, Purina or Dumor 16% laying crumbles, oyster shell, grit, and kitchen scraps, plus ACV in their water.

Anybody else tried this? Kinda like giving them grass clippings, maybe.

I'm giving mine soaked alfalfa pellets now - it took them a couple of days to figure it out, but now they're eating them. They aren't enthusiastic about dry alfalfa pellets.

been thinking the same thing. Only reason I was hesitating is becasue I only have 3 young pullets and didnt want to buy a big o bag of anything I wasn't sure they would eat. Only other critters around here are DH, DS and a mini schanauzer,,, don't think any of them would appreciate having to finish off the bag.

I bought a bale of alfalfa and I put a little in each day and let them scratch for food so to speak and they love it...

I give mine alfalfa pellets all the time. been doing so since it snowed. I either give it to them soaked in water and mixed with some quick oatmeal or dry, but because the pellets are so large I take about 2 cups and place them in a freezer bag and smack them around until they break up a bit....

My chickens just love getting their alfalfa :) but I treat it like a treat. If I could find smaller pellets I would likely mix it in with the scratch and boss.

My 29yo horse is fed chopped timothy/alfalfa mix. Our one chicken seemed to like to scratch around the feed bucket for the leavings. Now, I add the chopped mix to the chicken's feed pan with crumbles and scratch for him to pick through. He must like it as it's gone by evening.

I don't give my horses sweet feed.

Last edited:
Most rabbit food sold at feed stores is just small alfalfa pellets. My girls always enjoyed any left over pellets the rabbits didn't eat. When I got rid of my rabbits I had almost 100 pounds of pellets remaining. I just mixed them in with the layer pellets for a few months until it was gone.

Quote:
Quote:
Rabbit Pellets is more than just Alfalfa Pellets. Here is a list of ingredients that is the Rabbit Pellets I use.

Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Meal, Heat Processed Soybeans,
Ground Corn, Soybean Hulls, Oats Mill By-Product, Soybean Oil, Yucca Schidigera Extract,
Calcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Magnesium Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous
Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Carbonate,
Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement,
Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Choline
Chloride.

Please also note that Rabbit Pellets is high in salt that can be harmful to chickens in high amounts.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom