Alfalfa

Mallory

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Walbridge, Ohio
For chickens, must it be in pellet form or in the straw-like-hay-like form I saw at TSC??

What if I bought a bale of it (which was $11) and just chopped it up with a knife or food processor or something? Then I could mix it in their feed? I know that might be a lot of work...

Yes - they will pick the leaves off and leave the stems. Chickens love alfalfa and it is so good for them, calcium, and other good vitamins and minerals. Good Luck!

Quote:
LOL, the next time someone tells you that ask them, If it is toxic to chickens why do they put it in poultry feed?

Here is the first 7 ingredients in the feed that I feed. ( Link to Buckeye Nutrition )
INGREDIENTS: Ground Corn, Soybean Meal, Porcine Meat Meal, Wheat Middlings, Corn Gluten Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Animal Fat

Chris

Last edited:
You can use either. I prefer pellets myself. The smaller ones that the goat folks like. I mix it into their grain ration. They won't eat a terrible lot, but what they do eat does wonders for the yolk color when it's too dry or in the winter time for there to be much in the way of fresh green feed for them.

Last edited:
Quote:
LOL, the next time someone tells you that ask them, If it is toxic to chickens why do they put it in poultry feed?

Here is the first 7 ingredients in the feed that I feed. ( Link to Buckeye Nutrition )
INGREDIENTS: Ground Corn, Soybean Meal, Porcine Meat Meal, Wheat Middlings, Corn Gluten Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Animal Fat

Chris

Almost half the list they put up wasn't toxic. I did clarify..but oh well. People will usually believe what they want to believe whether it is true or not. lol

Quote:
I certainly believe that!

Why shouldn't they? For the past 25 years we been telling kids their opinions really matter...even when their "opinions" are nothing but a load of patoey!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom