Algae in the water

coupe-d-lux

Chirping
Jun 22, 2015
I using a 5 gal. Water cooler with niblers. The nibler unit is constantly getting algae in it. Is there something that I can put in the water to stop the algae & be safe for the hens? Thanks..

You can also use a black container - or paint the one you have black. A tiny drop of bleach will also help inhibit both algal and bacterial growth.

CT

I was thinking about the bleach idea but didn't know how much to put in. It's a 5 gal water cooler, and I looked online and couldn't fine any suggestions of what might be a safe amount. The nibbler is clear plastic and that's the only part that shows algae, none inside the cooler. I guess I could use a black felt pen and 'paint' the nibbler..
Thanks for the ideas...

no expert but done my research on algae ... it grows in a wide range of PH depending on strand (vinegar /acid may help with some alkaline strands) ... some grow in the dark (go open your geyser and look) ...hot cold ..don't matter ... one needs to starve it of nitrogen .... one could incorporating water plants in a tank (absorbs all the nitrogen)...and feed off from there ...

You can also use a black container - or paint the one you have black. A tiny drop of bleach will also help inhibit both algal and bacterial growth.

CT

I would use apple cider vinegar instead of bleach. Much healthier

Well if you are municipal water it's really moot as municipal water has chlorine or chloramine in it, nothing different then a drop of unscented bleach in the water...

Also ACV as states likely will not prevent algae growth, in fact there is little proof it does anything, besides temporarily dropping the PH... Even if many claim otherwise, there is little proof or conclusive evidence for most of the claims about ACV...

You will need a tinted or opaque waterer to prevent algae. We have one similar to this:
Poultry-Bucket-With-Nipple-Waterer-1-MD.jpg

Back
Top Bottom