Algae in the water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by coupe-d-lux, Apr 4, 2016.

1. coupe-d-lux

coupe-d-lux Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2015
    I using a 5 gal. Water cooler with niblers. The nibler unit is constantly getting algae in it. Is there something that I can put in the water to stop the algae & be safe for the hens? Thanks..

2. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Most algae is non-toxic and just unsightly, unless you have health issues I would just let it be as most of the options to stop algae pose more of a health threat or are straight up toxic... Or possibly move the waterer out of the sun into a shaded area...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You can also use a black container - or paint the one you have black. A tiny drop of bleach will also help inhibit both algal and bacterial growth.

CT

4. coupe-d-lux

coupe-d-lux Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2015
    I was thinking about the bleach idea but didn't know how much to put in. It's a 5 gal water cooler, and I looked online and couldn't fine any suggestions of what might be a safe amount. The nibbler is clear plastic and that's the only part that shows algae, none inside the cooler. I guess I could use a black felt pen and 'paint' the nibbler..
    Thanks for the ideas...

5. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Apple cider vinegar helps deter algae. 1 tablespoon per gallon.

6. DIGGIN CHICKEN

DIGGIN CHICKEN Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2016
    no expert but done my research on algae ... it grows in a wide range of PH depending on strand (vinegar /acid may help with some alkaline strands) ... some grow in the dark (go open your geyser and look) ...hot cold ..don't matter ... one needs to starve it of nitrogen .... one could incorporating water plants in a tank (absorbs all the nitrogen)...and feed off from there ...

7. pauleberly

pauleberly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    I would use apple cider vinegar instead of bleach. Much healthier

8. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Well if you are municipal water it's really moot as municipal water has chlorine or chloramine in it, nothing different then a drop of unscented bleach in the water...

Also ACV as states likely will not prevent algae growth, in fact there is little proof it does anything, besides temporarily dropping the PH... Even if many claim otherwise, there is little proof or conclusive evidence for most of the claims about ACV...

9. MyChickenCookie

MyChickenCookie Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    You will need a tinted or opaque waterer to prevent algae. We have one similar to this:
    [​IMG]

10. HeatherLinn

HeatherLinn New Egg

Jun 23, 2016
    Garland, Texas
    I wash our water out regularly with apple cider vinegar. When it starts getting into the upper 90s, I put a tablespoon of vinegar in their water container to prevent algae growth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by