Algae in waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by aceoftrumps, Feb 18, 2011.

1. aceoftrumps

aceoftrumps Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    South Central Louisiana
    Ever since I read somewhere on here about giving your birds Apple Cider vinegar, I've searched for the unfiltered one with no luck. But I have a 7 gallon waterer and when I fill it, I rinse it out with water first....and then add about a half cup of the vinegar. It stays very clean and no algae growth. And here down in the sunny south, algae growth is a big problem. To me it's a cheap and painless remedy...sure beats scrubbing down the inside of the waterer.

Kurt

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    If it's a plastic waterer that will be fine, metal reacts with the vinegar. I'm in the sunny south too, but I keep the water tubs in the shade and scrub twice a week anyway. I use the dishpans from the dollar store. Unless there are chicks out there, then I get conventional for a while.

The unfiltered ACV, with the "mother" in it, is usually in the health food/organically oriented grocery stores.

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    That is one more reason I switched to Waterer cups. I was only using a 1 gallon before and cleaning it out twice a week. Thanks for the tip about the apple cider vinegar. Is there a reason for the apple cider vinegar versus white vinegar?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by