Alianation

Betharabah

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Please Help!
I have 11 hens and 1 rooster, and they usually live quite peacefully, but I have a couple of questions. Okay so, to begin with, my chickens eat most of their eggs, but have only started this winter. They are all a year and nine months old- Nearly two years, and they seem to eat them overnight, since for a while, I would collect the eggs in the morning, about noon, four o'clock and occationaly at eight or nine. Does anyone have any brilliant ideas? And secondly, more importantly, 10 of my hens (not my rooster) have just three days ago started ganging up on Beth(Betharabah), one of the hens. They, thankfully, started (though it's not much to be thankful for) began when I was in the shed, by their room. (in the shed) I heard loud noises, hen noises, and when I got in there, I saw Beth on the ground, and I thought she'd hurt her leg, and that's why the other hens were being mean, but they were just pecking at her head, and I looked all over her, and there is nothing abnormal about her. I am keeping her secluded for now, but I don't know how long that will last, because it's supposed to get pretty cold in the next few days. I've noticed in the last week, that Beth wouldn't come down from the perches(for lack of a better word) unless I lifted her down. Would this have anything to do with it? Please Help Betharabah and I!!
D.gif

Wood eggs for the eaters. Or soup. Fix it quick, the behavior spreads. As for the beaten hen, I'd treat her like she was ill, put her in the infirmary. If you see her acting submissive, and the others keep after her, I don't think thats normal pecking order behavior. Sorry I'm not more help.

My chicken, Beth, I think she's egg bound.
sad.png
She's been, for the last week or so, acting extremely pained, and tucking her tail between her legs. I've tried a warm bath, and massaging her tummy, but I don't know, because it's not coming out. I can feel a hard bump on the left side of her tummy, and she shows the signs of being egg bound, but it's been about a week (I think- for sure four days) since she layed an egg. I've read that egg bound hens will at the most live for 48 hours, so I'm wondering if it might be something different, and could the hard lump I'm feeling be something else? I'd appreciate any advice.
Thank You!
smile.png

Quote:
Welcome to the forum. I would suggest that you post about your ailing hen in the emergencies category to get the most replies and (hopefully) some quick help.
I've never had to deal with that type of illness, so I can't offer much help. Sorry.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom