All 27 CHICKS LOST!!!!!!!!!!!- - UPDATED with 21 chicks and PICS

I'm so amazed to hear these wonderful stories. I had 8 eggs from my chicken farmer, had them in the incubator, took care of them, no incidents with temps, etc. None of them ever hatched. After about day 30 I dumped them all. My son was so looking forward to the hatch. Don't know if I'll try to hatch again.

Some years ago I had a duck that I thought abandoned her nest, and I moved her. I left the eggs there ALL day and it was 40F out. That night I went in to pick them up, they were stone cold but I candled them just out of curiosity and 4 had movement! I rushed them in to an incubator (that wasn't turned on yet) and that night 3 of them hatched. While I will say that they were closer to hatch than yours, they were also sitting outside exposed to the cold (not even covered). Don't give up!

good luck! dont lose hope yet. i have one egg in my incubator right now that i set a week and a half ago and to my surprise it piped out of its egg. i removed some eggs from the hens nest because she sleeps in her nest all night. shes does that everynight and when i found out I took the eggs out and set them in my incubator. the chicks had been developing. the temp at the time was in the mid 50s during the day, and during the day the hen would get out of her nest. that egg survived approximately 10 days without a hen sitting on it during the day. so i hope you get a good hatch rate!

Hope your hatch works out good....
fl.gif
If this ever happens to me I will be able to hook the bator up to a car battery that was one of the reasons why I bought the Hovabator 1588.

I have incubated beore several times some with great results some not ..DO NOT STRESS !!!eggs are hardy it is rare to get 100% hatch 1-2 chicks some times are a blessing ! just proceed as normal let us know what happens
smile.png

I had a broody off her nest for 6+ hours at day 15. When I found her, I put her back on the COLD eggs. She had 7 eggs and hatched out 4.

Don't give up.

Well your eggs were 75% through incubation so you'd be surprised how robust they may be, especially if your mum's room temperature was 70 degrees. I once cooled 2 pidgeon egg for 36 hours at room temperature at a similar stage - they hatched
big_smile.png
s

High temperature spikes appear to be more lethal than cooling so just hang on in there.

I also want to pass my sympathies to your poor Mum I'll bet she feels awful
hide.gif

I didn't want to mess with all of them - but I picked an egg - one BLRW and one Ameracauna - each from opposing sides of the bater and BOTH HAD movement!!!

Now. . . do I proceed with lockdown on the 18th as usually or delay it a day?

I would lockdown on day 18 as usual. Even if they take an extra day to hatch I don't feel that 1 extra day in lockdown would hurt them. That way you are ready in case they hatch right on time, which they may do.
big_smile.png
So happy you saw movement!!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom