All 8 only using 1 nesting box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sasham, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Sasham

Sasham Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2014
    So we have 8 chickens, they have all just started to lay this month. We built them 8 nesting boxes in a row, and they all seam to want to use the 1 box, so in the morning they all sit there and "yell" at the chicken laying until she is done so they can lay. How do I get them to start using the other boxes? Occasionally one ends up dropping an egg out on the floor waiting. I'm thinking of taking out the dividers and making a "communal" bed

2. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
    I heard of that problem.... So I built my coop with the "communal" nest box.... If need be, I can put dividers in it.....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Sabz

Sabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    I have 6 and they all go in the same nest (very funny behavior). Sometimes I open the nest door and 4 of them are in there at once haha.

In my case, they have never dropped eggs on the coop floor though. I never thought it was a problem, I thought it was just normal behavior. I guess DaveOmak's suggestion would be the best then! Mine will never use both nests. They use the left one 90% of the time and then for a day they ALL switch to the right nest.

4. MelKnee

MelKnee New Egg

Jun 20, 2008
    I have 17 hens, 5 of them laying now. They all use the same box. I'm hoping all 17 don't try to use the same box. I have seen hens sitting in other boxes, but they wait to lay until the "good" box is free. I have wooden eggs in the other boxes trying to entice them there.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You might try putting some real eggs in the least favored boxes, but honestly, I have the same problem. I have 4 old gals who are all laying, and 12 pullets, 8 of which are laying now. There are the 2 original boxes, I've given them a card board box and a square kitty litter bucket with a 4" lip, and a dish tub. They use the 2 original boxes, and lay the rest of their eggs in a corner on the floor of their loft behind the perch. AAUGH!!! They even rolled the plastic egg out of the cardboard box and put it in their little corner.

6. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I have no idea why they do it, but all my girls lay in the same spot too.

I have seen three girls crammed into the same nest trying to lay, despite us having 7 nest boxes, all with plastic eggs inside.

Today one girl laid a soft-shelled egg, which smashed and ran through all the hay in the nest. Before I could stop them, two more girls sat down in the muck to lay. Apparently, that nest is The Best Nest even when it's filled with runny egg!

- Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by