All but one chick has died

The bulb was intended for brooding chickens, there has been no air freshner they are in a private room of the house that we don't use except to see them. It's a chick starter feed I'm unsure of the brand but its from a local farm store. I created a shady area thats a few degrees lower they can move to if its too hot but they never seemed to intentionally go into the cooler area or warmer area.
Just a few? I like to have the other side be at least 10 degrees cooler. The look to hot IMO.

Is this the most current photo? Photo of the whole thing would be good.

Chicks are too hot in too small of a space. Raise your heat lamp and get them a larger container.

The cool side can be very cool. They only need one warm spot in the brooder the whole thing does not need to be "warm". 5+ day old chicks inside a house I would aim for 80-85F just under the lamp.

Is this the most current photo? Photo of the whole thing would be good.

Chicks are too hot in too small of a space. Raise your heat lamp and get them a larger container.

The cool side can be very cool. They only need one warm spot in the brooder the whole thing does not need to be "warm". 5+ day old chicks inside a house I would aim for 80-85F just under the lamp.
Its possible it was too warm but they hadn't shown any signs of being too hot like panting or staying out of the direct light. Ive just got the one now.

Maybe try making some holes in it. I use a plastic tote as a brooder and my husband drilled holes along the sides after I lost a bunch of chicks in a cardboard brooder

Thank you all for your suggestions, the brooder could've been too small, too warm, or poorly ventilated. It's difficult to tell at this point, the shipping company suggested that the one i hatched also may have had something the others were not immune to. I think next time around I will buy older aged chicks from the nearby farms rather than ship them in from a hatchery- not sure I'm cut out to raise them straight from the egg

Back
Top Bottom