all but one chicken killed

Yes! Thanks so much! It is temporary just until they are big enough to truly defend themselves against my lone hen who is the sweetest thing in the world with me but acts like the chicken version of Joan Crawford in Mommy Dearest to the babies
lol.png
. I look forward to figuring out how to turn this crate into temporary housing. All of this is one giant experiment. I am so tempted to obtain a new coop, but there are two major problems with that. First, I can't afford it. Second, it would mean that I would definitely go get a second flock, which is ridiculous. I find myself fantasizing about a yard filled with chicken housing. I seriously need a 12 step program.

i did not read this thread to entirety, so i apologize if this has been suggested, but do you think your friend who has your chicken now could part with one of hers? maybe whichever one your girlie is getting along with best? they already know eachother now...

anyways, im so sorry for your loss, id feel the same way
sad.png

Chickens aren't cuddly wuddly creatures towards each other and new "interlopers". The pecking and picking is normal.....albeit not ideal
wink.png

I try to raise "large" batches of chicks because integrations are a lot easier. When dealing with small numbers....1 or 2 or 3, its a lot harder.

As far as the dog crate? You need solid dog house of sorts on one end. That would be the easiest solution. I would "wrap" the crate with hardware cloth.

I did something similar once upon a time, with a rabbit hutch.

24277_downsized_0419002156a.jpg

24277_0419002154.jpg

I used J clips to attach the hardwire cloth to the wire. You could also use zip ties (and then cut off the "tails").

I would put corrugated PVC or that ondura roofing (lowes) over the crate to give shade. You may have to put a board inside the top of the crate and then screw the roofing down into that board, to hold it to the crate. The little cheap 1x2 boards would work fine for this.

If you don't want a separate dog house or solid walled enclosure attached, I would take plywood, cut to size (lowes or HD can cut for you OR they sell smaller sizes like 2'x2' or 2'x4') drill holes and then fasten to the crate with zip ties again OR do the same process as the roof. Put a 1x2 strip of wood on the inside and then screw the plywood from the outside into it. That would "sandwich" the metal wire between the plywood on the outside and strip of wood on the inside, holding it on.

You could cover one end with plywood. For example, if it was a 4 foot long crate, I would cover one end with plywood and then 2 feet of each side with plywood. Making a nice "nook" on that end.

I would make sure ALL corners are well protected as chicks tend to pile in corners, especially when scared.

Thanks so much. This is very helpful and I will use it as a reference as I figure it out. Now I'm going to Google hardware cloth so I know what it is!

Feel free to PM me if you need anything. I like to build things. I would recommend you go with 1/2" hardware cloth (not 1/4"). Hardware cloth is much easier to work with than chicken wire....it is what I used in the photo up above. It is a small mesh welded wire. Small enough squares to keep racoons and things from being able to reach through it to grab.

Thanks again. This will be an interesting challenge for me. I imagine I will be making more than one trip to Home Depot as I figure it out, but it will be a learning experience. I will take you up on that offer to pm you if I need more advice. Much appreciated.

It can sometimes be easier to intagrate more younger chickens with older chickens than less. I think it confuses them more. I live not far from you in Elgin and will be selling 6 week old pullets and cockerals if you are interested in getting more.

Had to race through this thread - sorry if I missed anything but:
1. So sorry and sad about the attacks and murder of your feathered friends.
2. On behalf of the fallen, please consider holding the dog's people accountable to help create a paradigm shift amongst dog owners - there are still countless horror stories every day with dog attacks on chickens.
3. Don't use cedar shavings.
4. Gizmos does need a buddy or buddies - being a lone chicken is sad because they have no one that 'speaks their language'.....
5. A drop or two of rescue Remedy (Bach flower remedy) in her water may help relieve the stress of being exposed to new birds.....
JJ

Back
Top Bottom