All but ONE Gone

happychick73

Chirping
May 8, 2020
We had to evacuate Oregon wildfires, and left out out thirteen chickens and a duck I’m guessing they retreated out to the woods, very sad 😭. The day after we got back our Buff Orpington came out of the woods, if we got chicks would she take care of them? She is very lonely. Any breed suggestions?

I am so sorry for this loss on top of all the other stuff you’re having to deal with. Surely she’s traumatized in addition to lonely. Maybe there’s a chance others will return? And maybe for now extra love and contact with her humans? Could be easier than acclimating to new chickens until things settle down a little.
Good luck, I hope the air clears quickly!

You definitely did the right thing, releasing your chickens during an evacuation. They have a chance to save themselves. And they always know where home is if they didn't wander to far.
As for your Orpington, she's stressed don't add to it. Hope things are well with you. I've been through it myself so I understand.

You definitely did the right thing, releasing your chickens during an evacuation. They have a chance to save themselves. And they always know where home is if they didn't wander to far.
As for your Orpington, she's stressed don't add to it. Hope things are well with you. I've been through it myself so I understand.
Yeah, probably unless she’s broody, no chicks, maybe even then...

Back
Top Bottom