All day outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mama2my4, Mar 22, 2012.

1. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    I saw this post....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/400061/baby-chick-cage-run-pics

And hubby built me one too!

Today the chicks spent the entire day outside. I think they has a blast. We checked on them often and gave them more water once. I sprinkled grit on the ground to give them something to scratch at.

I cannot wait until the coop is built!

[​IMG]

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Aww, your chicks are at that stage where they look really cute, with the little combs and massive bodies. :p Sounds like they had fun outside. I used to free range my chicks every day and bring them back indoors for the night. Usually you won't need grit if they're outdoors, as they scratch and find little stones in the soil themselves.

Good luck with getting your coop done soon!

3. MommaK6

MommaK6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    How much did the wood cost, roughly?? I think this would be GREAT for my babies!

4. PaintedWolf

PaintedWolf Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Kitsap WA
    I want to make one, too! I just showed my hubby your pic. We have a big roll of chicken wire in the garage that isn't being used for anything. Great idea!

5. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    It wasn't my idea or design. The OP on the original thread can be thanked for that. I don't know how much the wood was, because we bought it at the same time we bought coop wood. But it couldn't have been too much.

6. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm guessing that thing is about 4 X 4. If I had to buy all the wood for it from scratch, I'd hit Home Depots cull bin where all wood (about 4' lengths) is $ .51, looks like the wood might run about $9.00 max chickenwire new would probably run about $10.

Just a guess.

7. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I love your outside enclosure. I wanted to build one too but havent been able to bring myself to buy more materials to build more temp structures for the babies. So today I took the plunge and scooped up all 12 3 1/2 week old chicks and brought them outside with me and the kids. It was great. All 12 stayed together and scratched around they stayed close to the deck, in under and around so bushes they didnt wander far at all i was pleasantly surprised to see them stay in one area . They perched on low branches and took thier first dust baths such a fun thing to watch. they spent about 4 hours outside under a very close watchful eye of myself and our entire family( literally entire family me hubby our 3 kids 3 neices and nephew my mom and dad and my sister) the chicks fit right in running inbetween our feet. I loved it and cant wait to do it again tomorrow hopefully the warm streak continues..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by