All-flock feed vs layer feed, and brands!

Providing Grit is a form of risk management. Yes, your grounds MAY provide it - plenty of native soils do. Yes your chickens may not need it (if they are incarcerated in a way that the only thing available for them to eat is crumble or ground grains in mash/fermented form). But if your chickens have access to greens and there is any question at all about your soils (I have sandy clays and clay-ey sands, for instance - there is no "grit"in my soils), a purchase of grit for their use is both inexpensive and durable - it doesn't expire, and they will only use it in the quantities needed, so it may last a good long while.

I still have the chick grit I bought for my littles from TSC. Is it ok to buy another bag? I like it because it is small, because the hen chick grit looks huge. There’s still a quarter of a bag left so I have time to decide. My ladies are between 9 and 12 weeks old.

I still have the chick grit I bought for my littles from TSC. Is it ok to buy another bag? I like it because it is small, because the hen chick grit looks huge. There’s still a quarter of a bag left so I have time to decide. My ladies are between 9 and 12 weeks old.
No reason not to keep using it till its out. and no reason to change to bigger grit if its only available to you in an unreasonably bigger bag. Worst part about small grit is that they wear thru it faster - less volume per surface area - but if you are comfortable with the speed they are going thru it, don't mess with success.

I personally would buy larger grit, and offer them both if you want. Chick grit is smaller than the used grit my adult chickens poop out, so really isn't large enough to be effective for older birds.

For my birds 8 weeks and up I offer a mix of grower and layer grit as shown below:
grit2.png

My girls are 16 weeks old and currently on Manna Pro chick starter grower. I'm reading that an "all flock" food should begin at 18 weeks. Other places, I'm reading that layer feed is the way to go. Would love opinions on this. :)

My confusion may stem from two places. First, from what the bags refer to as "grown" vs growing chickens. Is a grown chicken one who has laid an egg? Or something different? Perhaps a stupid question there?

Next, I have barred rocks, Easter eggers, and brahmas. My Barreds should be laying anyday now but my brahmas will still be a while. I take it this means I should seek out an all-flock type food? Please correct me if wrong.

Couple of notes...my chickens are primarily pets. It's still possible I have a roo eating this food too.

Last bit, I see great reviews for the Kalmbach brand of food but it's 47 bucks a bag online. Is there another reputable, healthy brand with a less painful pricetag that you recommend? Nearest farm store is 30 to 40 minutes.
Oh my freakin gosh! My local feed supply sold me some of the Kalmbach feed. It’s the best I’ve ever had. Tons of different whole grains including lentils. It looks so good, I feel like I could almost cook this up for myself. 😆 I’m in Ga and it was $25 a bag for I think #30. They suggested I use it in conjunction with a layer pellet or crumble being that it so expensive. So I did. I have a self feeder with the pellets and then I take them some Kalmbach “treats” to peck around for every morning. They literally get so excited and I can hardly get into the run to toss for them because they’re so crowded around the door. Maybe it could be worth the 30-40 minute drive to pick up a couple bags and spread it out that way? Other than a co-op that wakes their own, this is the best I’ve seen so far.

Back
Top Bottom