All flock or layers feed?

DarliaC

Chirping
Jul 3, 2023
Should we switch to all flock feed in the colder months or stay on layers feed/ provide extra light in the coop to encourage laying? Hens are 21w old and haven't started to lay yet

Should we switch to all flock feed in the colder months or stay on layers feed/ provide extra light in the coop to encourage laying? Hens are 21w old and haven't started to lay yet
Personal preference here, I mix the two. I add a bit of Rooster Booster granules and have a pan of oyster shell out at all times. I have silkies who are prone to vitamin deficiencies so thus why I'm adding a little of the rooster booster.

We have a light in our coop but don't use it for that. They slow down to half the eggs in the winter but never stop and that's fine as they're taking a break.

I have a similar question. My girls and boys are 17 weeks old. They have been on starter/grower crumbles and also free range all day. Days are getting much shorter in the "mountains" of NW Georgia. The feed bags typically say up to 18 months. Should I keep the same feed until I see an egg, which could be awhile with the cold setting in and shorter days. Or do something different? I currently have 10 hens, 4 roosters (I know, too many for 10 girls, I will reduce to 1 which will be hard).

I have a similar question. My girls and boys are 17 weeks old. They have been on starter/grower crumbles and also free range all day. Days are getting much shorter in the "mountains" of NW Georgia. The feed bags typically say up to 18 months. Should I keep the same feed until I see an egg, which could be awhile with the cold setting in and shorter days. Or do something different? I currently have 10 hens, 4 roosters (I know, too many for 10 girls, I will reduce to 1 which will be hard).
Keeping them on unmedicated starter for life is fine, or you can switch to all flock if you prefer.

Feed bags generally recommend layer at 18 weeks (not months) however many breeds don't lay nearly that soon plus you have cockerels, so better to avoid layer in your case (unless you don't plan on keeping any males long term), and supplement calcium on the side via oyster shell.

Keeping them on unmedicated starter for life is fine, or you can switch to all flock if you prefer.

Feed bags generally recommend layer at 18 weeks (not months) however many breeds don't lay nearly that soon plus you have cockerels, so better to avoid layer in your case (unless you don't plan on keeping any males long term), and supplement calcium on the side via oyster shell.
Thank you. I meant 18 weeks not months LOL. So sounds like I stay the course (or switch to all flock at some point) and add oyster shell on the side which I will start doing tomorrow. And I continue this regimen as long as I have at least one rooster which I plan to do for some protection since I free range.

Back
Top Bottom