All flock?

So, it all depends. How your flock is managed, what breed types, what extras they might also be fed, all play into what's your best choice.
I don't want birds who aren't actually laying eggs to eat that layer feed, and because I will keep some of the 'old girls' for life, and youngsters, and males, that can be a significant % of my flock, especially over winter.
Mary

There are terms not clearly understood by consumers related to feed ingredients.
Here is a brief rundown.
Collective Terms for Feed Labels:
  • Set by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO), can be used in livestock and poultry feeds, but not pet foods. May include one or more of the following….
    • Plant protein products– plant protein products can include anything from algae and canola meal to potato protein or processed soybean meal.
      • Over 30 possibilities
    • Roughage products– Roughage can include anything from almond hulls to dried citrus pulp, corn cob to straw, even soybean mill run.
      • About 30 possibilities
    • Forage products– Forage can include anything from pelleted alfalfa meal to coastal bermudagrass hay, dehydrated silage to ground grass.
      • Over 10 possibilities
    • Grain products– grain products can include anything from ground brown rice to corn, grain sorghum to wheat.
      • Over 10 possibilities
    • Processed grain by-products– Can include anything from brewers dried grains to peanut skins, wheat middlings to corn gluten meal.
      • Almost 40 possibilities

My concern is the first ingredient in the feed I thought about going with when they become old enough is processed grain by products.
I have bought nine different (not organic) chicken feeds since March 2016.
Nutrena Country Feeds Medicated Starter Grower.
Nutrena Naturewise Starter-Grower, Feather Fixer, and Hearty Hen.
Purina Premium Start & Grow Medicated and Non-Medicated, Flock Raiser, and Layena Plus Omega. and Manna Pro Medicated Chick Starter.
All but two have Processed Grain By-Products.
The Manna Pro and Hearty Hen don't.
Both Analysis tags are 4 and 2 years old respectively and formulas may have changed.
Should I use a layer feed and not have the oyster shell or still go with an all flock for higher protein?
I use either a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18% or a All-Flock Flock Raiser 20% crumble, whichever is fresher or available when I'm at TSC, with Oyster Shells in a separate container.
I experienced feather picking with my Golden Comets when I switched to a 16% Layers feed.
I only let my Chickens free Range an hour before sunset daily, weather permitting. GC
ETA; I still had Oyster Shells available when I fed a Layer feed.

yea thats what im thinking of either the naturewise starter/grower at 18% or the purina flock raiser at 20%. There is also a meat bird crumble at 22% that i thought about mixing half and half with the starter/grower (both naturewise). Or heck even the Dumor i just got for chicks is 20% as well lol. But ill prolly wind up with one (or the mix) of the naturewise or the purina and have oyster shell available at all times.

Both Analysis tags are 4 and 2 years old respectively and formulas may have changed.

Doesn't that mean the feeds are 2 and 4 years old? The guaranteed analysis and ingredients tags list what is actually in that bag of feed.
That is also where most manufacturers put the mill date. The rest go on the bottom seal.

Have silkie bantams and Easter eggers. Chicks currently. Was thinking of using an all flock 20% protein and having oyster shell available at all times. My concern is the first ingredient in the feed I thought about going with when they become old enough is processed grain by products. They will be free range most of the time but still wanted to supplement with a good food. But really don't want to order online but if it's on Amazon maybe a possibility. But all the feed on Amazon is way higher. Should I use a layer feed and not have the oyster shell or still go with an all flock for higher protein? There maybe a rooster in the mix since some are straight run
View attachment 2021455
That looks like a good non-layer feed to me. I would guess that it's comparable to Purina's Flock Raiser.

Back
Top Bottom