All Hens killed by Dog

The only time an entire flock will die is when they're trapped in a coop with a predator and can't escape

If you're in the proper climate for it I would encourage you to not use a coop at all to avoid such massacres in the future

I'm sorry for the unnecessary deaths you're dealing with

I am so very sorry for your loss. How devastating. Like you, I would pursue this to the fullest extent of the law and not give up. The idea of a trap in front of the pen is really good. IF I were to catch the dog, it would be dispatched permanently.
Boom.
We had 2 unleased, uncollared local dogs come into our yard and terrorize chickens and ducks and our goose. Police came, recognized the dogs, but did not tell us whose they were. NOTHING was done. We called the police several times but no one returned calls. Thank goodness our birds were all safe, but if anything like that ever happens again, the dogs will be shot. Hubby was home when this happened. I scooped up the goose who was being chased, and he has a rifle, but it was in the house. No time to run and get it. He threw a large rock and hit one dog in the head, it only scared it, but it was still near enough for the cops to get it.

I am so very sorry for your loss. How devastating. Like you, I would pursue this to the fullest extent of the law and not give up. The idea of a trap in front of the pen is really good. IF I were to catch the dog, it would be dispatched permanently.
Boom.
We had 2 unleased, uncollared local dogs come into our yard and terrorize chickens and ducks and our goose. Police came, recognized the dogs, but did not tell us whose they were. NOTHING was done. We called the police several times but no one returned calls. Thank goodness our birds were all safe, but if anything like that ever happens again, the dogs will be shot. Hubby was home when this happened. I scooped up the goose who was being chased, and he has a rifle, but it was in the house. No time to run and get it. He threw a large rock and hit one dog in the head, it only scared it, but it was still near enough for the cops to get it.
I had two dogs that came onto my property. I told the owner of the dogs to control them or as I put it to him "they will rot where they drop". I thought I had everything secure. One day we came home from work and all my ducks and chickens were dead. 10 ducks and 6 chickens in 2 separate pens. I stayed home from work for 3 days with a rifle and a track-hoe. On the third day the dogs came back and went straight to the chicken pen. I took care of the problem. Never heard a word from the dog owner.

Boom.
That is exactly why I got the lawyer. I can tell that the bureaucracies are hobbled and slow to handle if at all. So frustrating that a dog owner can get away with this.

I had two dogs that came onto my property. I told the owner of the dogs to control them or as I put it to him "they will rot where they drop". I thought I had everything secure. One day we came home from work and all my ducks and chickens were dead. 10 ducks and 6 chickens in 2 separate pens. I stayed home from work for 3 days with a rifle and a track-hoe. On the third day the dogs came back and went straight to the chicken pen. I took care of the problem. Never heard a word from the dog owner.

That is exactly why I got the lawyer. I can tell that the bureaucracies are hobbled and slow to handle if at all. So frustrating that a dog owner can get away with this.
Also, I live in CA and even though my lawyer warned in the demand letter that I can shoot if they return, I am not sure yet about the rules in my area. I am going to check on that b/c I do have a good shotgun. I have been watching for them to come back every day and have cameras all over so I can see them. In fact my lawyer has actual videos of the attack where the camera alerted when it happened. An hour before I had told the owner to get them off my property. If I can kill them, I will, and I very much want to do so.
Good for you!
P.S we are looking to where to relocate out of this state! Something about this attack just finalized our plan

I am so sorry. What a devastating loss. I know firsthand how frustrating irresponsible dog owners are. I hope you are at least able to recoup the costs incurred by the attack, though that's hollow against the losses that won't return. Sending hugs to you.

Don't you have a shotgun? I live out in the country and here in Mo. if something is killing/harassing your live stock, including fowl you have every right to put an end to it permanently. That is the rule I go by.
I do. MO sounds pretty good to me. I would likely get fined for firing my shotgun here in CA. Rotten! We are looking for alternate living locations.

Bravo! You did the right thing. Our responsibility is to protect our flock. So sorry you had to lose your little buddies.

Back
Top Bottom