All in one moble brooder, without electricity(EXPERIMENT)

Shadow Source

Songster
May 25, 2018
Central Oregon
Hello!

If you have seen my last post, you would know that my Silkie hens laying eggs. I read something on a very old post, it was only a sentence that said, "I tried putting chicks under a Silkie hen, and she raised them as her own." Here is the link where I heard this from. I decided in a controlled environment, I would put chicks that had just hatched out of my under a Silkie hen. At first I tried my buff Silkie, she did not like the chicks at all after trying and trying to get her to brood the chicks she would peck the chicks. I saw her peck one chick, and I put her back with my flock. Next I tried a White Silkie. She looked at the chicks, studied the chicks, the chicks loved her fluff, so all the chicks went to her. At first she did not know what to do, but then she let the chicks under her, and was very careful with them, and she puffed herself up huge when I walked by. So the results of the experiment are.....
A Silkie hen showing no signs of broodiness in the middle of winter, can brood a bunch of chicks.

I am happy I tried this experiment, and hope she will be a good mother.

NOTE: NO CHICKS WERE HARMED IN THIS EXPERIMENT, BUT IT COULD HAVE BEEN BAD BECAUSE THE FIRST HEN WAS PECKING THE CHICKS. GIVE IT A LOT OF THOUGHT BEFORE TRYING THIS.

Back
Top Bottom