All kinds of new feed on the market!

briteday

Crowing
12 Years
Dec 16, 2008
Northern Nevada USA
It's been a few years since the raccoons got the last of our chickens but we're ready to start again because we miss them! I'm hoping to order ISA browns from Townline (we've had lots of them before along with some heritage breeds and pet silkies) in Feb, coop has been ordered.
I've been looking at chicken feed online and there are so many new brands in the 5 years since we had chickens. Just wondering what everyone is using and how you like it. I see 17%, 18%, 20% protein, many more choices for organic, so many different brands. Purina used to be the major player in our area and now there are so many to choose from in addition to everything available online. Due to COVID I will be ordering my starter feed, etc online and may continue if the price is right.
Tell me you favorites and the reasons please!

I use non-medicated chicken starter either from Purina or the local feed store brand (Bomgaars). Purina or Bomgaars is still my choice as they grow into layer feeds. When laying stops for the winter, they eat all-flock along with the ducks and geese. As my chicken math has worsened, I've found the need to use an affordable feed. I wish I could buy the fancy stuff ...

My birds free-range during the day, so they're supplementing their diets with food of their own choosing.

Congratulations on getting back into chickens. You know it's going to be an adventure!

I use a flock raiser 18% protein, but I’ve used grower feed at 18%, Broiler feed at 20% and layer at 16%. Flock raiser 18% is my preferred. I noticed last time I was at Southern States they had a layer 18%. Few of my birds are laying. I get 0-1 eggs a day from my 18 birds after molting, but I’d be inclined to try the layer 18% when most of them are laying. The accepted protein range for laying hens is around 16-18%, but I believe most agree that 18% is better than 16%.

I use a flock raiser 18% protein, but I’ve used grower feed at 18%, Broiler feed at 20% and layer at 16%. Flock raiser 18% is my preferred. I noticed last time I was at Southern States they had a layer 18%. Few of my birds are laying. I get 0-1 eggs a day from my 18 birds after molting, but I’d be inclined to try the layer 18% when most of them are laying. The accepted protein range for laying hens is around 16-18%, but I believe most agree that 18% is better than 16%.
Unfortunately ( I do agree) but the higher % feeds are organic and are ridiculously expensive. Like £7 for 5kg or something. I prefer the 16% at £8 for 20kg because then my wallet isn't dying.:barnie

Just wondering what everyone is using and how you like it. I see 17%, 18%, 20% protein, many more choices for organic, so many different brands. Purina used to be the major player in our area and now there are so many to choose from
I feed my hens 28 months old and pullets, will be 8 months Monday, Nutrena Naturewise and Purina Premium feeds. Both are available at my local TSC.
They have delivery and curbside pickup.
I see 17%, 18%, 20% protein,
For my Barred Rocks and ISA Browns I like a feed with 18% Protein.
I have two coops and keep younger and older chickens separate.
I feed a Medicated Start and Grow for the first 10 weeks, then a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower to all with a container of Oyster Shells separately.
I haven't fed a Layer feed in 3 years. Most are 16% Protein and 18% Layers feed costs more than a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower.

My Barred Rocks are in different stages of Molt and not laying, two eggs this month.
20201219_090914_resized.jpg

My pullets are laying daily.
20201219_090858_resized.jpg

I offer Oyster Shells at 15 weeks old.
They take as needed.
20201126_051320_resized_1-2.jpg

GC

I have always used Purina Flock Raiser crumble 20% protein ~1% calcium for my mixed age and gender flock. Oyster shell, mixed with dried and crushed egg shell, in a separate feeder for the active layers. I give them some scratch grains daily in the run while I clean.

I would not pay for shipping feed, my local TS is good about masking and has fresh feed...always check the mill dates.

I would not pay for shipping feed, my local TS is good about masking and has fresh feed...always check the mill dates.

We already get free shipping with so many small animals around the house guinea pigs, dogs, cats, chickens. with feed, supplies, toys, bedding it adds up fast! But I do price compare with our local independents since they are often cheaper on some items and I like to give them the business first. We don't have franchised stores like TSC here.

Back
Top Bottom