All my chickens have stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by acts4me, Sep 20, 2015.

1. acts4me

acts4me Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    Not into egg sales.I just like the chickens. I started out with the Light Brahmas ( of which I have only nine in a 10X18 and have stopped laying as well) But I saw all the different breeds and started buying different ones I liked and my grandchildren liked and now I have raised them all up. I expanded my chicken yard as per what the local agriculture extension office told me. Four square feet of floor space and 12" of roost space per bird and I thought I was fine. I have no pecking issues no fighting issues. They all come home and go to roost every night. I have lost less than 10% of my total flock since I started raising them. I am wondering why there is so much conflicting information on run/house sizes? Thank you for your response (aart,lilbeastpdx) and help Does everyone think my run/house size is too small? Or could I be dealing with a nutritional issue? I changed my laying pellets to Layena yesterday to see if maybe that Country Acres just did not have enough nutritional value. I am free feeding and have oyster shell freely available. I change the shavings out twice a month and I clean my houses twice a month. I'm puzzled but I don't think overcrowding is my issue.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    5x10 = 50 sq ft
    50 sq ft divided by 40 birds = 1.25 sq ft per bird

3. acts4me

Mar 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    That is just the house they have 160 square foot of run as well. I guess I should have known when I was attacked in the beginning that I was not going to get any help. I understand the optimal size of the coop/run Aart I know how to add but thank you for the math lesson.

4. acts4me

Mar 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    Mods please delete my thread as I am finished with this site. There is no need to attack someone for asking a question.

5. lindalouly

lindalouly Grd Ctrl 2 Major Tom

I know my girls lay better when I supplement more protein into their layer food... We have had a drop off of eggs as well due to our weather..... But not completely... This might be something worth trying maybe....

6. lindalouly

As you become aware of the community you will learn personalities of some of the members. Aart is always a facts and figures kind of guy... Don't think he's trying to be mean... Good luck with your girls.

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

1 person likes this.
  8. lindalouly

Haha!! I thought that for a split second before I posted it!!!!! Should have went with my gut.

9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

10. lindalouly

Good advice but it gave me something to giggle about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by