All My Hens Are Using the Same Nesting Box!

Atrayu

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 12, 2011
Hermosa, South Dakota
Hi
I don't know why but my chickens are all using the same nesting box to lay their eggs. I have 18 hens, and only 5 of them are laying eggs now so it is not a problem yet, but it could be when all of them start laying eggs. I have 12 nice nesting boxes in the coop (I am using plastic stackable containers filled with pine shavings and some hay). They like to rest in them and at one time they were using three different nesting boxes to lay their eggs. I work during the week, but this last weekend, I noticed they lined up to use the same box and when one finished the other hopped in the same box and did her duty. It is like a nicely decorated Easter basket when I go to collect the eggs, but I am concerned that I will start finding broken eggs if they keep this up.
Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions!
Mark

I have heard of other people having the same problem. I have six girls, two of which are laying and they are using the same nesting box (I have three). I would suggest blocking up that nesting box so they have to use another one and keep switching off the ones you block up so they use different nesting boxes each day.

Right now I only have two laying but if, when the others start laying, I have the same problem I plan to do what I suggested.

I've eleven boxes, one of which is occupied by a sitter. The other ten are positioned where I know the chickens like to lay, in the coop (6) and the woodshed (5).
Nine of the boxes are unused, that's up to them, but they stand in the woodshed yelling abuse at the laying hen. Like Atrayu's hens not all my mine are laying so it isn't a problem yet. I've tried removing the favoured box so they took to laying in the woods!

I will try the dummy eggs and blocking the one box they keep using to see if that works.
thanks for the suggestions! I am glad I am not the only one experiencing this.

My son came down the garden with one of those thinking a pullet had just laid! When he gave it to me I banged it on the worktop, his face was a picture when it didn't break!
lol.png

Welcome to the club. I have 10 hens and 6 pullets(2 that are laying ) and 7 nest boxes. 2 or 3 that is used. More so 2, at both ends of the row but one end more than the other.. They are all the same size,same contents just cant explain it. Out of the 8/9 eggs a day I am getting 6 will be in one and 3 in the other. I have a Barred that always lays in the same box without fail and the 2 newbies are using the same one. I have noticed when they go into lay they check out the nests,when they see the other eggs they must think ohhh this looks like a good spot. Chickens do what chickens do!

Back
Top Bottom