All new to me

WestEndHens

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 1, 2012
Hi from Southern Connecticut - I'm new at all of this - No chickens yet still in the planning stage. I'd like to use part of my garage as the henhouse and I'm thinking of insulating it. Is this a good idea? My thoughts are the garage is always colder and insulating that part would keep the "someday chickens" happier.

Hello and welcome to BYC from Ohio!

I think you've got a great idea using the garage as a coop. Will you still be parking cars in there? The only thing is your garage will get very dusty, as chicks and chickens produce alot of dander.

Take care and so glad you joined,

Sharon

welcome-byc.gif
from Maryland! That is an awesome idea to use your garage as a coop I wish I had a garage to do the same thing, good luck with the "someday chickens".

Thanks, yes the car will still be in there - do you think it will get dusty even if it has a ceiling? The plan I have in my head would be to enclose the entire henhouse with a full door for you to enter it. I'm also thinking of using the plastic milk crates but not sure if they need to be made of wood. I know they need to be off the floor by 2ft. and the house will also have a window, which is already in the garage. I'd like to paint the inside but have read that it's not a good idea since the hens pick at everything.

There was already a small shed in the backyard when I bought my house....otherwise my chickies would now be residing in my garage :)

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
frow.gif

Yes your garage will get very dusty, chickens and dust go hand-in-hand. It you can completely wall off a section that would help keep the dust down. And insulating is OK, but make sure you have LOTS of ventilation if you do insulate. The climate here is very cold, and my coop is insulated, but I also leave a window open all winter or have too much moisure buildup - bad for chicken lungs.

Back
Top Bottom