All of a sudden- Aggressive Rooster

Our first little bantam rooster, also a total jerk, would leap up to adult eyeball level at every opportunity! Also, puncture wounds are not good anywhere. We only keep polite roosters,we learned.
Mary
IMO the smallest are the most aggresive, I've never had bantams but I've had pretty small breeds, any only those would attack me when I was younger.
Now I have a brahma who hates me, but doesn't attack me atleast!

Some breeds and family lines of birds of all sizes are more or less likely to produce human aggressive cock birds. Having 'obnoxious bird' experiences helps us pick out those nasty boys sooner, a very good thing.
Mary
As much as I had a traumatic time with roosters as a kid, I'm grateful for it because I know better than to have to put my kids through that. All bad boys are eaten here.

Last edited:
Well, I'm thinking mine will be supper soon. He'll go several days acting like I don't exist (suits me fine) and then, like today, here he comes. Today was funny. I had a bucket for scooping poop and managed to drop it over his head and hold it there. But I almost think it made him worse when it come off. I was outside the pen by then, but he went after a hen like vicious. How good a roo is he if he takes out his problems on the girls? Not very. I'm only waiting for a response from my son's neighbor, who wants a fairly young cockerel for her famous stew. She can have him if she wants him, and then give me some of the stew. If she comes to get him, I'll give one of the older hens, too. Fingers crossed that she takes him, I'm not afraid of him or of butchering him, but I am not a good butcher and make a real mess of it.

And, yes, cockerels and roos, even hens, can hurt a child. They peck very hard, they have claws sharpened by scratching all the time and just the flapping can terrify a person. Running away is the worst thing to do because you can't see them coming at you and then you have a good chance of falling. Once on the ground, they can kill you.

Back
Top Bottom