All of a sudden my hen can't walk.

mwtrdh16

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2016
She was fine on Friday but, she could not walk on Saturday. Initially, it seemed as if she was injured. Not, i don't know what to make of it. she's trying to walk on her toes but she's falling over face first. what could be the problem?

How old is she? Did she receive a Mareks vaccination? Does she walk on her hocks (elbows) or have curled under toes? I would go ahead and start some poultry vitamins in the water containing riboflavin (vitamin B2.) Riboflavin deficiency can cause those symptoms.

She's 20 weeks old. She was walking on her elbows earlier this week. Now, she just trying to walk on her tippy toes. It's really ad to watch
1f614.png
. I'll get some vitamins, hopefully they work. I'm not sure if she had the mareks vaccine.

Thanks for your reply
Michelle

She was getting worse and I couldn't bear to see her that way. It was heartbreaking. I decided to put her down
1f622.png
. Thanks for you help.

Sorry for your loss. If you still have the body, you can refrigerate it and send it to your state vet to get a necropsy to look for a cause of death. If you see any other chicken with odd symptoms, I would get some testing for Mareks.

Back
Top Bottom