All of a sudden respiratory sickness!! Help

Tlynn86

Hatching
Jul 2, 2019
I have been raising chickens for about 3 years and I have never had to deal with sickness until today. A random chicken showed up, I caught it as soon as I could, and noticed last night it was sneezing. Well today I noticed my buff orpington eyes are all goopy and she has what I would call a snotty nose. If they were human I'd think they had a cold, but since I'm still new to this I dont know. It's already made it's way into my flock since they free range, most of them seem completely fine, the ones that are sick seem to just be sneezing, and then there are the couple that look absolutely miserable. I'd hate to lose my main girls as they are my best birds, but idk what to do. I have already added vitamins and electrolytes to their water. Can anyone point me on the right direction?

Welcome to BYC. Coryza can spread very quickly after exposure in about 2 days, more quickly than MG. Do you notice a bad odor from the bird, thick nasal drainage, or any swelling or drainage from the eyes? Testing which you could try to get from a vet or your state poultry lab would help you know how to treat it. If you cull a sick bird or lose one, keep the body cold in a cooler and send it to your state vet for a necropsy. With even one sick bird, your whole flock could be carriers for life, so closing the flock to any birds coming in or going out would be best. Here is a link with the common resiratory diseases and symptoms of infectious bronchitis, coryza, MG, and ILT:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom