ALL of my chickens always seem hungry and go crazy for food

If your chickens are getting a good quality balnced layer or flock raiser feed with at least 16% protein and give some extra oyster shell for callcium free fed, you are doing fine. Occasionally chickens will have internal problems or suffer from a disease like infectious bronchitis that can affect egg shell quality. Here is a good article from a BYC moderator: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems
I cant free range we have hawks, nite time and day time critters.

Phew...these girls have been doing my head in..starving all the time..they have pollard for breakfast with free range grain mix added. Then foraging for a couple of hours in the yard that has become a jungle with spinach and greens for them to nibble. For morning tea layers pellets moistened a little (if not moist they are left abandoned) as a treat before lunch a handful of black sunflower seeds.
They have a feeder that is full of pellets which is available constantly but alas they show no interest. Lunch consists of more moistened layer pellets and grain. I have tried to mix a little cooked ground beef in with the pellets which drove them into a feeding frenzy so I had to stop. Grain pellets and more grain and pellets. That is my day. Phew it looks exhausting having written it down..yet they are still hungry..
You should be giving them meat, turkey ground, beef, pork ground. They constantly move so they burn it off quickly.

Back
Top Bottom