1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

All of my chickens are dead, how do I coperate with the deaths?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChickGirl4Life, May 24, 2011.

1. ChickGirl4Life

ChickGirl4Life Out Of The Brooder

Well.. today I went outside this morning to check on the chickens just fine and dandy...Until I opened the door. One pullet was just inside the door.... Head gone......Blood on the bedding....The other three were by the pen door... They met the same fate....[​IMG] These were my first chickens and they lived from April 21 to today. I've been crying all day. I did go to school but alot of my friends asked me what was wrong...I didn't tell. I told them I would tomorrow but I don't know if I can. Can someone help me?[​IMG]:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  2. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    I am sorry [​IMG] , I guess you could give it time, figure out how the predator got in your coop, fix it and try again. [​IMG]

3. Gmsg01

Gmsg01 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    West Monroe,NY
    So sorry [​IMG]
    Hopefully you can figure out what killed them, so that you can preventit from happening next time.

4. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oooooh, I'm so so sorry this happened to you and your babies. [​IMG] I'm sure others know better which animals simply take off the heads when they attack. I think it might have been a raccoon. If it's any consolation at all, most chicken people have lost a chicken or more to another animal at some point -- most of us have been where you are now, so know that you're not alone. The best thing you could do for the babies that you lost and for any future chickens you get is to read up about keeping predators out and reinforce your coop.

Did your coop have chicken wire? Predators can tear through it like paper.

Don't worry if your friends don't understand, they might surprise you.

Losing chicks you've raised is so hard. Go easy on yourself and take time to mourn. [​IMG]

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] I am so sorry for your loss. I lost 12 hens in Oct. They were 3 months old. I too cried all day. It devastated me. I hope you catch the predator. Don't give up. Try to reinforce your coop better. Hang in there.

6. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    Please try again! I, too, have lost chickens to predators. It is nature's way, but don't let it discourage you.

7. ChickGirl4Life

ChickGirl4Life Out Of The Brooder

Thanks all you guys!

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sorry for your losses. I lost a big Barred Rock hen to a hawk earlier this year and over the years I've lost chicks and pullets to snakes.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am so sorry for your losses.

[​IMG]

10. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry, I lost a hen over a month ago and I still miss her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by