All of my chickens stopped laying eggs except for one. What could be the reason? Please anyone?

gigglssmls

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 28, 2012
I have four hens and one rooster, a goose, and a gander. My goose has been laying eggs like crazy even though it is almost winter (she is an embden) but my chickens have stopped laying for like three days now. Out of four hens I collected three eggs a day but now I am only getting one a day.... a small egg from my black Australorp (sp?) She has always laid small eggs..... anyhow My hens are VERY healthy and they are spoiled so I cannot figure out what is wrong. Has me a bit upset. Can someone give me some clues or information in why chickens stop laying?

Its winter time, days are growing shorter. Its natural for hens to slow down and even quit laying this time of year. Commercial hatcheries keep their birds under added light to simulate a longer day.

I agree with the others . Growing up we always had chickens and the hens would all but stop laying during the winter months.I bought 6 pullets a few weeks ago just started getting eggs. A night light and some laying mash may help.

Good luck
J

I guess I have been lucky, make that dumb and lucky. each winter I put heat lamps near my chickens water so they do not freeze and each winter i have almost all of them lay normal. This has been going on 3 years now. That's why I say dumb and lucky cause no one else around here has any eggs at all during the winter... DUMB LUCK for sure. I guess the light makes them think it is still laying season. My coop is tin roofed, with some tin as wind breakers but open wire sides.... My 22 nesting boxes are against the windbreaker and middle of the second coop...
I joined 2 of the three coops I built...

Maybe there is something about the lights.... or warm water, I am not sure why I am this lucky... I know I spoil my chickens I guess...

Thanks all... I also have two lights in hen house on ceiling rafters.... I have one soft light and one heat light. Depending on weather I pick which one to use each day but they always have one or the other. I also feed them treats every morning.... healthy stuff, and they get chicken scratch, oyster shell, and chicken laying mash daily. They have a chicken waterer in hen house which is kept open from morning to evening when they return to it by themselves.... then closed up to protect from predators. We have 10 acres so they get a LOT of grazing although they usually stay closer to house and only graze on about an acre. Anyhow, I guess it is the weather? I studied and researched soooo much and I spoil them rotten but I guess I will wait it out. I appreciate your feedback. I just rely on the eggs. I am terminally ill and since I have become sick finances have taken a spiral down and having the eggs has been very helpful. :D If you have any more info please feel free to keep replying.... I am never ready to stop listening or stop learning. Thanks all,
Michelle

We have 2 young hens who started laying about a month ago and have each laid an egg a day since. They both stopped laying a few days ago. This was day 4 with no eggs. Thanks for posting this question and for all the responses. I was getting worried that something was wrong, but I'm going to chalk it up to the shorter days. The weather isn't cold where I live, so it must be the lack of daylight. Sounds like all of us spoil our girls!
D.gif

Make sure your girls are getting at least 12 hours of light a day.but are in the dark for sleeping. I have a timer on my light and have it come on early in the am. but let them go to roost with the sun at night. As far as the the heat lamp if the girls are fully feathered they don't need it and will acclimate to the colder weather with out it.Depending on the breed and their breed a lot of chickens slow down in the winter and this is normal.
Chickens are creatures of habit and do best with a routine. Try the light and no heat for a while and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom