All of my chickens stopped laying :(

Jackalope Vigil

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 19, 2013
Phoenix Arizona
For the past 2 months my chicken have slowly stopped laying eggs. I havent gotten any at all in the past 2-3 weeks. I thought it was the heat at first because I do live in Phoenix, but theyre under shade and I keep a jug of ice water in their coop to keep them cool. I had a problem with one of my EEs going broody, she's no longer broody and as far as I can tell none of the others are going broody too. I have noticed that my Barred Rock eggs had small holes in them. Like they got curious and broke the shell but did not eat any part of the egg. Could I have an egg eater in my flock or do you think it's just the heat?
Thanks!
D.gif

How old are your chickens? As far as the heat is concerned I well imagine your temps are in triple digits most days...VERY hot for chickens. Barring any illness I would say it is the heat that's getting to them. A jug of ice water would likely only last as 'cold' for less than 20-30 minutes. Have you tried running a sprinkler on low so they can get some relief? You can also give them some ice-cold watermelon...they love that!

Regarding the small holes in your eggs, yes you have an egg eater.

Last edited:
I also have the same problem no eggs for the past week. is it the heat I'm in the NE. have 8 layers but currently they are 0 for 8 .. the past week or so. I haven't seen evidence of eaten eggs.

For the past 2 months my chicken have slowly stopped laying eggs. I havent gotten any at all in the past 2-3 weeks. I thought it was the heat at first because I do live in Phoenix, but theyre under shade and I keep a jug of ice water in their coop to keep them cool. I had a problem with one of my EEs going broody, she's no longer broody and as far as I can tell none of the others are going broody too. I have noticed that my Barred Rock eggs had small holes in them. Like they got curious and broke the shell but did not eat any part of the egg. Could I have an egg eater in my flock or do you think it's just the heat?
Thanks!
D.gif
Ditto on how old? Agrees it could be the heat too.....a mister would work great in your climate to give them some relief.

Also, do you free range? They may have a nest out on the range area, confine them to the coop as long as you can in the mornings to 're-home' them to laying in the coop nests.

Hole in egg means you might have an egg pecker......they haven't figured out how to eat them yet.

They are 9-10 months old sorry to leave that out. They aren't free range. They stay in the coop for the in the mornings and I let them out every evening for a few hours. I've looked for hidden nests in the yard, but I haven't found anything. I think I may have a mister, I'll try that out.

I'm curious. Did your chickens ever start laying? Mine stopped in August as well. All my chickens plus my khaki campbell ducks. All stopped laying. It appears they all went into molt at the same time. But I haven't gotten an egg since August. :(

Back
Top Bottom