all of the sudden a white egg

sheila3935

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 10, 2010
Stonington, illinois
I have all brown egg layers at least in one coop. The last 2 days I have been getting one pearl white egg a day.In that coop I also have a khaki campbell duck that hasnt started laying yet but is old enough to. Could this be a duck egg? The reason I am not sure is that this egg is in the nesting box that is about 3 feet off the ground. I do have a ramp that goes up to the box. Do you think she is laying in the box that the chickens use. This is the egg had a hard time with glare from the camera the egg on the right is the one in question
62756_strange_egg.jpg

and this is the nesting boxes where the chicken is is where I found both white eggs
62756_056.jpg

What breeds do you have? That could well enough be a duck egg... just because you haven't been seeing her laying doesn't mean she isn't. Looks like it's from a duck to me.

BTW aits easy to tell the difference between a duck egg and a chicken egg, duck eggs have a waxy feeling to them feel it with your fingers, you'll be able to tell the difference, or try to scratch it chicken eggs shell are more rough and have more pores compared to more smooth waxy feeling of the duck eggs.

in that coop I have RIR's and a barred rock. You are right they do feel silky next to the chicken eggs. So I guess my campbell has finally decided to lay. Yea!

Last edited:
It doesn't look white white to me. It may be a very light brown chicken egg, or it could be from your duck. Like Crash said, they'll have a waxy feel to them, they'll feel very different from chicken eggs.

Quote:
Its like a pearl white. Not really white white. It has a very glossy look to it I kept getting glare from the camera on it. Also I did check the feel and it feels silky and the chicken eggs have a rough feel to them.

Yeah if it has a glossy look to it its most likely a duck egg. What you can do to be 100% sure is check really early in the morning, laying is the first thing duck do in the morning, I go to work ar 4:30 and when I go check the nest the duck is usually already there laying, so check really early in the morning that way you'll make sure its her.

Quote:
Its like a pearl white. Not really white white. It has a very glossy look to it I kept getting glare from the camera on it. Also I did check the feel and it feels silky and the chicken eggs have a rough feel to them.

Congrats! Your duck is laying and has obviously figured out the nest box too!

Back
Top Bottom