All out water war!

I don't know how I'd go about it with the pop bottle. I'm kinda clueless as a matter of fact lol!

Missprissy - my waterer is raised up on blocks and they still kick stuff into it and knock it over. I have one bantie in my flock so it's not as high as it could be without her, but it's still a ways off the ground. Right now the biggest issue is them knocking it over completely. Even if they kick a few shavings in, they can still get to the water and have plenty until I get out there to clean up the mess.

I donot know what you have your water in but maybe till you get a new water system, you could fill the base some clean rocks to make it heavy so they cannot knock it over?? Maybe I do not know if it would work just a idea.

I have used a homemade wall-mounted waterer. Too small volume for more than a couple of chickens, but the principle could be enlarged on. See post #10 in this thread for pics and explanation.

HOWEVER I WILL WARN YOU -- my girls actually kick shavings into the wall-mounted waterer MORE than they did with a hanging one or one on blocks on the floor. The reason is that they can create a 'drift' of shavings piled against the wall, much higher than they could for a waterer elsewhere.

My suggestion is raise the waterer up as high as you can and still have them drinking out of it, and if possible get a waterer that you can *hang* (note that you can't just punch a hanger-hole in a regular vacuum waterer or it will leak like crazy all over, you'd have to buy one with a hanging fixture built in, or perhaps cobble together some sort of hanging platform for a regular waterer to sit on).

And then arrange some sort of setup at floor level so they can't swing th waterer and spill it, because I can see that coming, if they're just basically grumpy chickens
wink.png

Good luck,

Pat

I had good luck with hanging a Japanese teapot (the kind with ceramic loops for the handle to hook into) ... with two places to attach hanging strings, it doesn't swing wildly the way a single-suspension waterer can

I imagine an old sugar bowl would work the same way, or a double-handled soup bowl or tureen

if you're concerned about chick drownings, easy enough to fill it with enough marbles or rocks that chicks can't get their heads completely under water

or -- suspend any sort of water container you like, within one of those macrame plant hangers ...

Back
Top Bottom