All out water war!

Jsto

Songster
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
North Carolina
My girls (and guy!) are seriously beginning to try my patience...and I'm starting to think the little buggers are doing it on purpose. I just built and put in a lovely PVC feeder that has definitely helped with wasting and spillage. Now, just since I've put that in and they can no longer wreak havoc on their feeder, they've moved on to the waterer
barnie.gif

I'm having to replace the water daily as they are kicking shavings into it and spilling it all over. I never had these issues until I fixed the feeding situation and I genuinely think they're doing it to show their unhappiness over having to be kept in the coop when it's been cold. The problem is, I don't make it out to the coop super early every morning. There's nothing worse than going out and seeing they've spilled all their water and wondering how long they've been without.

I've been planning to hang it, but at this point I'm not even sure it'll help, except maybe making it easier for them to slosh water all over. As it is, they're knocking over a completely full waterer off of blocks.

I was just wondering if anyone has made any wall mounting waterers or seen any that work well? I was trying to figure out how to fashion one similar to the PVC feeder, but have no idea how I'd get gravity to work in my favour lol. Any help would be great, thank you!

it may work. I have a bunch of PVC I need to use. Have you tried to buiild a 5 gallon bucket waterer? If youhave something to level it off the ground it may help keep them from kicking shavings in

I haven't tried that, no. I suppose that rather than trying to fashion a wall mounting waterer, I could sort of make a closed in shelf that would support the waterer I have now. Have a solid shelf base and perhaps sides that start about half way up the waterer so most of the dish is accessible. I didn't even think of that until now
hu.gif

I have loads of PVC just begging to be used as well, which is why I was hoping to figure out some sort of PVC waterer lol. PVC haunts me!

Last edited:
Thats what I plan to do this spring. Its alot better and less time consuming I think

Quote:
so do we. I may build like 4 feeders out of it then maybe cut them and build roosts for there run. I have like 22 feet of it from the person who used to live here

Last edited:
Quote:
so do we. I may build like 4 feeders out of it then maybe cut them and build roosts for there run. I have like 22 feet of it from the person who used to live here

I'm definitely building another feeder to go into the run - the one in the coop has worked wonderfully and took no time at all. I might make a smaller version for the oyster shell/egg shells and grit as well. Just need to get rid of it because it's just sitting there lol.

Quote:
LOL Don't feel stupid! I prefer to just toss grit and oyster shell in the run and let them get it a bit more naturally, but during the winter they aren't out much so I have a mini-feeder with it now.

someone was talking about using a 2-liter sodapop bottle with holes bored in it for feed ... threading it through the side wall ... I bet that would work as a waterer too --- though I'd burn the edges of the holes rather than just boring them, so they would be smooth and not raggedy

Have you tried raising the water up so that they can only reach in with their necks to drink?

My waterers are raised up on block that are about the height of their backs. it does keep the water alot cleaner. They can't kick any mess into it.

Back
Top Bottom